Get iTunes MetaData Script and Compilations

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
starlir

Get iTunes MetaData Script and Compilations

Post by starlir » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:21 pm

I'm using Snow Leopard and iTunes 9. Use of the above script ALWAYS results in Max treating the CD as a compilation. To get around this I've commented out the line 'set compilation of maxdisk to comp' in the if i=1 loop. This means that a true compilation will never be treated as a compilation but if I have a single artist compilation I prefer it to be organised by Artist anyway. I see this bug has been around for a long time, can the author comment on it please.

starlir

Re: Get iTunes MetaData Script and Compilations

Post by starlir » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:38 am

Any comment on this please Stephen?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:30 pm

I just tried this on Snow Leopard (10.6.2) and everything worked as expected for me. I did have to save the script again, because it was in an old format. Perhaps that was the problem- I've posted the script I used at http://files.sbooth.org/Get%20iTunes%20Metadata.zip

starlir

Post by starlir » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:16 pm

Stephen,

I've tried the new script and for me it does the same as the old one - every CD is written as a compilation without the mod I posted above. I'm on SL 10.6.2. and iTunes 9.0.2 (25).

starlir

Post by starlir » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:34 am

Stephen,

I've run some more tests and I think the bug may be in Max, not the script. If Max is loaded, reads a non compilation CD, and the metadata script is not run then the CD is treated correctly. If the metadata script is then run it is incorrectly written to disk as a compilation (even though the Max information screen shows that it is not a compilation). If I run my modified script after this then the CD is still written to disk as a compilation. If I then close Max, reload it and then only run my modified metadata script it is correctly written to disk as a non compilation. I have read that Applescript can exhibit some 'odd' behaviour in the way that it treats the scope of variables and my test seems to indicate some unexpected treatment of the comp variable by the combination of Max and the metadata script. The test seems to show that once the comp variable is set by the metadata script then Max thinks it is always true, if the variable is never set by the metadata script (as is the case with my modified script) then Max thinks the variable comp is false. Grateful for any comments you may have.

sduck

Post by sduck » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:18 am

I don't have that problem you've described. Same os, newest versions of max and itunes. I never get disks mislabeled as compilations.

douga

Post by douga » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:58 pm

I have the same problem. I have my output directory set to something other than iTunes Library. I have the "iTunes compatibility mode" checkbox selected. If the iTunes metadata script is run, my output directory is always Music/My Music Dir/Compilation.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:52 pm

douga wrote:I have the same problem. I have my output directory set to something other than iTunes Library. I have the "iTunes compatibility mode" checkbox selected. If the iTunes metadata script is run, my output directory is always Music/My Music Dir/Compilation.
Does this happen on the first disc or only on subsequent discs like starlir described?

douga

Post by douga » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:53 pm

sbooth wrote:
douga wrote:I have the same problem. I have my output directory set to something other than iTunes Library. I have the "iTunes compatibility mode" checkbox selected. If the iTunes metadata script is run, my output directory is always Music/My Music Dir/Compilation.
Does this happen on the first disc or only on subsequent discs like starlir described?
I'm not sure I was clear, so I'll restate:

WIth the stock Max scripts, I get the /Music/My Music Dir/Compilation output every time. If I recompile/save with the "set compliation..." line commented out, I get the results I would expect: the output dir is "~/Music/My Music Dir/Artist/Album Title". In each case, the result is consistent. Nothing different happens the second time in either case.