FLAC tags lost in conversion to MP3

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
bionaut

FLAC tags lost in conversion to MP3

Post by bionaut » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:17 pm

I am converting tagged FLAC files to MP3. Two of the fields I use - Disc Number and Comment - are not being carried through on conversion. Other fields are successfully converted. Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you, Chris

Mike1

Re: FLAC tags lost in conversion to MP3

Post by Mike1 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:28 pm

bionaut wrote:I am converting tagged FLAC files to MP3. Two of the fields I use - Disc Number and Comment - are not being carried through on conversion. Other fields are successfully converted.
FLAC uses Vorbis Comments. Unfortunately, Vorbis Comments are rather under-specified. I expect that's what's causing the problem.

So there is no standard tag for some fields and some programs use different names for what would be the same field in ID3 tags. So some programs use, for example, TOTALTRACKS and some TRACKTOTAL.

My guess would be the program you originally encoded the FLACs with had plumped for names different from what Max uses.

I expect it would be possible to use the command-line tagging tool for FLAC to convert the tag name in the FLACs to what Max is expecting to find in each case. But I've not done it, and I couldn't say for sure.

Or perhaps you could try another conversion program - Foobar2000 on a Windows machine, if you've got access to one, for example. It's just possible that another program will be using the same tag names as the program the FLACs were encoded with in the first place, so it would be worth trying others. It's a bit hit-and-miss as there aren't set names for tags with Vorbis Comments.

I think that's probably what the problem is.

bionaut

Post by bionaut » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:40 pm

Thank you for the reply. It got me thinking, and I think I may be on to something. I generally use MediaRage to tag FLAC files. I was able to export a .plist file of the data, and ID the tag names in use. I went back to Max and altered the tag names accordingly in the Preferences. First time through got me the Comments preserved in the MP3 conversion. Still not getting Disc Number though.

Lunchbox16

Post by Lunchbox16 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:02 pm

I'm having the same problem with transcoded mp3s not preserving the "Comments" field. However, I use Tag to add my FLAC tags and Max to convert from FLAC > mp3, so the "Comments" field should have the same tag designation since both programs are made by the same programmer. Is this a case that the tags may be written to the mp3s, but that iTunes' "Comment" field has a different designation and that's why they're not showing up?