APE to Apple lossless tags

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
firekat

APE to Apple lossless tags

Post by firekat » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:05 pm

Greetings & Good Day To All!

I just started using Max. I have a bunch of .ape files that I had on an WinXP music server. I recently moved to the Mac and will be using that as a server instead.

I am trying to convert the .ape files over to Apple Lossless, it is just that when I do the track numbers on the tags are not picked up so all the songs on the albums are out of order. Looking at the metdata it shows "Track X" in the comments part of the tag after the file has been converted.

I have tried both Max and XLD to convert, both with the same result. I have to boot into WinXP and use dbpoweramp which does convert the files with proper tagging.

I would prefer to use the Mac, and I think that conversion may be faster in OS X versus WinXP. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: APE to Apple lossless tags

Post by sbooth » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:05 am

If you open the files with Tag do the track numbers show up?

firekat

Post by firekat » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:41 am

Opening the original ape file with Tag will show all the correct information. Viewing the metadata information in Max does not show any track information. On some files using Max metadata the comments section will have a "Track X", on other files there might be other information in the comments area and there would be no track information whatsoever.

Opening the converted alac file with Tag nets a message saying that Tag cannot read the file. On the same file Max will show the metadata on the converted file. The converted file does not have a track number on it.

I hope this helps

firekat

Post by firekat » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:02 pm

Bump!