Where are the FLAC files?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
oldskoolboarder

Where are the FLAC files?

Post by oldskoolboarder » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:01 am

MAX newbie here.

I ripped a CD to FLAC and changed the default destination directory. I also set VLC to play them when completed. When the rip was done, I looked in the destination and didn't see any files. VLC shows the whole album and plays it. When I choose a file and do a command I, it shows the following as the source directory: 'Music/FLAC/Norah Jones/Feels Like Home/.flac'. When I point the Finder to the same directory, it's empty. I check the size of the folder and it says something like 21 MB.

1) That seems small for a full CD rip into FLAC.
2) There's no files to see.

Where are the files?

Thanks.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Where are the FLAC files?

Post by sbooth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:44 am

It seems like the file's names are messed up. Files whose name start with . will be hidden in Finder. You can launch Terminal and see if they are there:

Code: Select all

ls -l Music/FLAC/Norah Jones/Feels Like Home

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:38 pm

sbooth wrote:It seems like the file's names are messed up. Files whose name start with . will be hidden in Finder. You can launch Terminal and see if they are there:

ls -l Music/FLAC/Norah Jones/Feels Like Home
It occurs to me that if the original poster has named the destination directory .flac - as appears from his post - he can't see it by listing the contents of the directory above it (Feels Like Home) with ls -l.

You need the "a" switch : ls -al.

To see the files, as opposed to the directory, the OP could do:

cd Music/FLAC/Norah Jones/Feels Like Home/.flac
Then:

ls
But no need.

How to solve this: What I think the OP might do is download Marce Bresink's free TinkerTool, use it toggle "show hidden files and directories". Now, when he can see the directory, he can simply rename it from .flac to flac. Then use TinkerTool to toggle visibility of hidden files/folders off again. (OK you can rename at the commandline, but I know many Mac users fight shy of using Terminal.)

And, obviously, the OP should remember to change the name of the destination folder in Max's settings from .flac to flac, as well, for future use.

oldskoolboarder

Post by oldskoolboarder » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:26 pm

To clarify, the destination folder isn't .flac.

I meant to say that is the destination filename.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:41 pm

oldskoolboarder wrote:To clarify, the destination folder isn't .flac.

I meant to say that is the destination filename.
OK, so the destination folder is "Feels Like Home". I guess that's why Stephen specifically mentioned filenames as being "messed up". I way behind here.

What if you run ls against that folder, as he suggests - only with the -a switch to show any "hidden" files or folders. Could you do that, then copy and paste the output and post it here?

ls -al Music/FLAC/Norah Jones/Feels Like Home

skillet

Post by skillet » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:54 am

I have been having a similar issue. I typically rip to FLAC and MP3 simultaneously using the {fileFormat} format tag (but I have the same issue even if I rip to just one format), both formats are ripped to an Ubuntu 8.10 server (FLAC for a Squeezebox, and MP3 as backup which are then imported into iTunes on my Macbook Pro). My shared network folder in Finder is named 'fileshare' which leads to 'music/flac' and 'music/mp3'.

This setup used to work fine; Max would rip the music to the appropriate location. However, what it is doing now is ripping to my Macbook Pro harddrive under /Volumes/fileshare-1 (note that /Volumes/fileshare, the network drive shared folder, exists but it doesn't write to it). It sometimes even writes to fileshare-2. I have to open /Volumes and determine where the recent rip went to, then Move or Copy the files to the correct location.

I have no idea why this used to work but suddenly stopped working. I'm using Max 0.8.1 on OS X 10.5.6 with all the latest updates.