Newbie 1st Post & Question

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
StevieB

Newbie 1st Post & Question

Post by StevieB » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:02 am

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and a new 1st time Apple computer owner as well having just purchased an iMAC.

Here is what I need to know: I make original music on a Tascam DP-02 Porta Studio. I then can create and export a WAV file of the original song and I would like to import it into my iMAC (but not necessarily into iTunes). I then need to convert it to an MP3 file format so that I can then upload it onto my Soundclick music site.

(PLease note I was able to do this process (using a program called dBPoweramp), when exporting the file to my now-nearly-dead Windows-based desktop (Dell).

But hey now I am an Apple guy so . . . can the MAX program help me do that with the IMAC?

If yes . . . I would greatly appreciate it if someone would list the "specific steps" that I need to take to complete the process I have described.

Thanks in advance for your time and your help!

Steve

Mike1

Re: Newbie 1st Post & Question

Post by Mike1 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:19 am

... can the MAX program help me do that with the IMAC?
Yes. You could also convert in iTunes (possibly GarageBand, too). Max would a fine tool for the purpose.
If yes . . . I would greatly appreciate it if someone would list the "specific steps" that I need to take to complete the process I have described.
So the WAV file has been put on the Mac (perhaps in ~/Music/WAVs or some such directory you've created). And Max is installed in /Applications.

Start Max from Applications (or from the Dock, if you've added it there). Press Command and comma to invoke the Preferences (or do it from the menubar). Click "Formats" in the toolbar. In the table at the bottom, find "MP3" and double-click it. The default setting is equivalent to LAME MP3's -V 2 switch (or --preset fast standard). If you don't want to accept the default setting, change the dropdown menu to get the quality/bitrate you want, selecting "Custom" if you want to use the other controls on that sheet to get some particular result. Then click "OK". Check the box next to "MP3" in the table at the top to have that encoder active.

Now, back in the toolbar of Max's Preferences window, click "Output". You can specify where Max puts its output here. (I've found I need to check the box next to "Use a custom format for output file naming" even though I don't change the default, because otherwise, for some reason, Max puts everything in a "Compilations" folder.) Maybe you'd want to create a directory called "MP3s" in ~/Music and select it with the dropdown menu next to "Output Files".

You may also want to click the "iTunes" icon in the toolbar and check "use iTunes compatibility mode" if you think the people who will be downloading your file from the website are likely to be using iTunes to play it back. If you don't, Max writes the "genre" ID3 tag in numerical form not in words, and some software (including iTunes) can't read numerical "genre" tags.

I think you're done with Preferences now and can close it.

Now select "Convert Files..." from the "File" menu in the menubar. In the sheet that drops down make the path to the WAV file you want to convert, and click "Open". Then click the "Convert" icon in the toolbar of Max's "File Conversion" window. And the converted file should end up in the "MP3" folder in 'Music" - or wherever else you specified. You can also drag-and-drop files to Max's "File Conversion" window, if you want to.