Can I add the Bitrate to file output?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
frikk

Can I add the Bitrate to file output?

Post by frikk » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:14 pm

Hey everyone,
When I rip a CD, I like to rip it in several formats (I'm a DJ so there are times where I need 320CBR, and other times where I just want to throw them on my iPod as V0 or V2, etc.). Currently I have the output format to be: Artist - Album (Format) / Track - Title. The problem is that Format is simply 'FLAC' or 'MP3'. I would like a way to create each folder depending on what my bitrate is set to. So for a single FLAC conversion into multiple formats, I would see:

Cake - Fashion Nugget (320)
Cake - Fashion Nugget (V0)
Cake - Fashion Nugget (v2)
Cake - Fashion Nugget (AIF)

etc. Currently, since (MP3) is the only output for any MP3 file, I have to do each encode separately, rename the folder, then continue. Otherwise the files get overwritten for each encode. I like my tools to be as automated as possible, so a single pass per CD would be outstanding.

Any suggestions? This seems like it'd be common behavior? Or does everyone just do this manually by hand for multiple format encodes?

Mike1

Re: Can I add the Bitrate to file output?

Post by Mike1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:04 pm

frikk wrote:Hey everyone,
When I rip a CD, I like to rip it in several formats ... I would like a way to create each folder depending on what my bitrate is set to. ... Currently, since (MP3) is the only output for any MP3 file, I have to do each encode separately, rename the folder, then continue.
No, you can't add bitrate to file output: if you look at the dropdown menu in "Add Format Specifier", you'll see it's not included there, and neither is the field editable.

Curiously enough, although one would imagine that this is something very few people would want to do, another user, eighteesix, did ask the developer to add the ability to do this a short while back.

http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2269#p8076

He didn't say either yes or no, but since he seems to be directing most work towards a new project I'd hazard a guess that he's unlikely to be doing much to Max for a while.
Any suggestions?
Since the the lower bitrate files are for your iPod, I'd suggest using AAC instead for those. It's a better format anyway, and the iPod understands AAC. You'd then be able to separate the files on the basis of "File Format" which is in the dropdown list.

Other than that - you could probably automate this in post-processing with scripts - or perhaps with Automator Actions. Why not send a PM to eighteesix and ask him if he's found a way round this?

frikk

Post by frikk » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:55 pm

Awesome, thanks a lot for the response. I'll PM eighteesix and see what he says. I remember seeing a connection between these output options, and the options LAME accepts as switches. I wonder if this is a limitation?

Thanks again.

eighteesix

Post by eighteesix » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:54 pm

Allow me to interject and just say there's no good workaround to separate the files my bitrates. Renaming is really the only way (without further scripting).

frikk

Post by frikk » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:04 am

Thanks eighteesix :)