Encoder will not engage

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
funkmonkey

Encoder will not engage

Post by funkmonkey » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:37 pm

I posted this in the "Max Help" forum but haven't received any help there so I am re-posting it here where it will be more visible:

Max has been great, I have ripped nearly all of my CDs to FLAC using MAX. Aside from a couple CDs that came out as white noise (very few) I simply re-ripped with the comparison ripper instead of cdparinoia, and got good rips.

This brings me to another problem I have had with a couple more CDs. MAX will rip the file and it will appear as "queued" in the encoder window, but that is it. It will not engage the encoder.

Two CDs in particular that this happens with:
Beatles - Sgt. Pepper (very surprising that there are any problems with this album)
Soul Jazz Records various artists collection Brazil 70

Both discs were recognized, complete with metadata, ripped, and queued to encode but that was as far as it went. I checked the log files and both CDs had the same problem:

"unable to read the disc's media catalog number (MCN)"

and then for each track the following information was logged:
"Unable to read the international standard recording code (ISRC) for track n"

Neither disc has a problem ripping with iTunes, and one of them is brand new (straight out of the shrink-wrap).

Is there a work around to get these files ripped to FLAC?

Thanks in advance, I hope there is some way to solve the problem

RonaldPR

Re: Encoder will not engage

Post by RonaldPR » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:47 pm

You got an answer, though not a solution yet, but you did not accept my view that MCN and ISRC not being available is unlikely to be the cause of Max not proceeding to encode.

funkmonkey

Post by funkmonkey » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:04 am

Fair enough, I just want to complete my rips... It's just very frustrating after a couple months (literally) of re-ripping everything to FLAC that I am coming up short those 2 CDs that won't encode.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:09 pm

Are there any error messages in Console when the encoding should start but does not?

funkmonkey

Post by funkmonkey » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:01 am

Yes there are:
This one is repeated several times...
"SyndicationAgent[222] WARNING: BestCalendarDateFromString - can't interpret: 'Sat 29 Nov 2008 21:26:31 -800'
Registering GasLight"

and this is at the end...
"Max[225] *** Assertion failure in validateAndCreateDirectory(), /tmp/Max-0.8.1/Utilities/UtilityFunctions.m:146"

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:32 pm

1. The GasLight warning probably is harmless. Still, you could try disabling GasLight while ripping. (Do you use the Get iTunes Metadata AppleScript?)

2. Do you leave your Mac on continuously? If so, have you tried if the problem is resolved after a restart of the machine?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:56 pm

It appears the reason encoding is failing is that Max can't create the output directory for some reason. What are your file naming preferences set to?

funkmonkey

Post by funkmonkey » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:18 pm

I will try disabling gaslight. I shut down and restart daily, still the same problem. (restart was the first thing I tried, both MAX, and then my Mac).

file naming prefs are set to default.

The weird thing is that it is only with these two disks... everything else works fine, except for a couple CD's that aren't even recognized (I borrowed a friends copy of those and was able to get good rips from a different pressing of the same CDs)

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:29 pm

Do the discs or tracks have strange characters in their titles?

funkmonkey

Post by funkmonkey » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:04 pm

They do not. All the metadata was found automatically, nothing out of the ordinary there.

funkmonkey

Post by funkmonkey » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:05 pm

I SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!!! WhooHoo! somehow the disc title had been repeated several times, covering several lines (this info came from MusicBrainz). I could only see one line at a time in Max so I didn't notice it, until my cat hit something on the keyboard while the title was highlighted and it went to the next line which was slightly different. :lol: I deleted the CD title, retyped it and test ripped one track. IT WORKED! :D The rest are ripping and ENCODING as I type.

Thanks for the help guys.

perhaps a bigger window for titles (or a limiter for one line) in future versions of MAX would help others avoid the problem I was having.

Cheers,
Greg

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:42 pm

Smart cat! :lol: