replace album art without re-encoding

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
cavemate

replace album art without re-encoding

Post by cavemate » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:20 pm

Hi Sbooth! I've just started using Max and it's awesome! Except I've turned some songs I was working on into mp3 but now would like to add album art to a whole bunch at once without having to go through re-encoding. Is there a way to do that? Worse comes to worse I can try to find the files, but I think I've lost a few which are quite old. ARGHGGGH! :) Any help would be great!

Thank you!

hanz

Re: replace album art without re-encoding

Post by hanz » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:14 pm

cavemate wrote:Hi Sbooth! I've just started using Max and it's awesome! Except I've turned some songs I was working on into mp3 but now would like to add album art to a whole bunch at once without having to go through re-encoding. Is there a way to do that? Worse comes to worse I can try to find the files, but I think I've lost a few which are quite old. ARGHGGGH! :) Any help would be great!
If you use iTunes you can do that with iTunes, but this works with mp3,aac and alac file only. Just select for example all the tracks of an album within iTunes and drag the artwork from Desktop/Browser onto the lower left artwork area where it says "drop artwork here" or something like that (can't look it up right now). Maybe that helps.

jhart71

Re: replace album art without re-encoding

Post by jhart71 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:59 am

Changing album art is the same as changing text tags -- doing so does not affect the original file quality.

To add new artwork, simply Get Info and drop the new artwork onto the album art box. You'll have to make sure to delete the art that's already there. There are 2 ways to do this:

For embedded art, select the tracks you want to change, Get Info, and check the box that is next to the album art box. Hit OK and iTunes will delete all embedded art for those tracks.

For "linked" art (as happens when you use iTunes' Get Album Art), you select the tracks you want to change, and under Advanced (or right-click) you choose Clear Downloaded Art.