[bug] specified output file names not respected

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
hanz

[bug] specified output file names not respected

Post by hanz » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:12 am

Hello,
I specified an output file naming scheme, but regardless of what I specify, Max always uses the same name as output file name as the name of the input file, except the extension of course. Is this a bug or have I configured something wrong?. Here is a screenshot of my settings. I use version r1381.

The files I convert (flac --> mp3 most of the time) are usually well tagged. So this should not be an issue.
cheers,
hanz
Last edited by hanz on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fuga

Re: specified output file names not respected

Post by Fuga » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:22 am

After you specify what you want it to be do you just close the Preferences window or otherwise go about your business? It's a quirk/feature/bug of some of Apple code that once a field has had input the user must tab out for that info to "stick." IOW, in this case, enter your naming scheme, hit the tab key, and then do whatever. This is not a Max thang. Of apps I frequently use Osiris & iCDc, among others, require the same method.

hanz

Post by hanz » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:43 am

Fuga wrote:After you specify what you want it to be do you just close the Preferences window or otherwise go about your business? It's a quirk/feature/bug of some of Apple code that once a field has had input the user must tab out for that info to "stick." IOW, in this case, enter your naming scheme, hit the tab key, and then do whatever. This is not a Max thang. Of apps I frequently use Osiris & iCDc, among others, require the same method.
Thanks for your reply, but this simply doesn't change a thing. I opened and closed the preferences, even restarted max a few times, and the behaviour doesn't change. What else could it be?

Maybe it's helpful if I describe exactly what I do:
Consider all preferences set as in the screenshot
1. I drag a flac file named "01 - Artist - Tracktitle.flac" onto the "File Conversion" window
2. after checking that all columns are filled with the correct values I hit "convert"
3. The output file is then in the same folder as the input file and named "01 - Artist - Tracktitle.mp3"
But I want it to be named "01 Tracktitle.mp3"

Hope this helps.

hanz

Post by hanz » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:49 am

Okay, I think I figured it out, it is indeed a bug:
If I explicitly specify an output directory like ~/Desktop the function works as expected. Up until now I always had a red warning at the bottom of the File Conversion window which said "Output Directory not specified", well this is what I wanted, because I want the files to be in the same directory as the source files. So from that point of view the output directory is well defined, and IMHO there should not be warning. For now this is okay with me, no big deal to specify a concrete output dir.

Could that maybe have something to do with ripping? If something is ripped from a CD, i.e. not converted from files already on a writable medium, then "source directory" may be undefined which could lead to strange results like mine.
Last edited by hanz on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.