unable to successfully inststal Max

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
radicalism.us

unable to successfully inststal Max

Post by radicalism.us » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:34 am

Hi,
I am unable to successfully inststal Max downloaded today from
http://sbooth.org/Max/
on an imac
osx10.4.11 intel 2ghz cpu

I decompressed the file and dragged to the applications folder. Double click does not open. Drug to applications bar. Bounces once.

Where to begin?

I don't seem to have any other freeware options for coverting .ape files.

Thanks for any help folks!

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: unable to successfully inststal Max

Post by sbooth » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:54 am

Are there any error messages printed to the Console? (Console is in Applications/Utilities)

radicalism.us

Post by radicalism.us » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:39 pm

Not error messages related to Max.

There is for "Sound Convertor" which I installed (prior to Max) and was attempting to use before I discovered the file size limit of .5meg.

I re-started the finder which did nothing.

radicalism.us

Post by radicalism.us » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:07 pm

In the name of all the great Jazz musicians...
any help would be appreciated.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:39 pm

If you have removed any existing copies of Max and its preferences, re-installed it, and Max still doesn't work (with no error messages printed to the console), I'm at a bit of a loss.

Can you open a terminal window, navigate to the folder containing Max, and type "open Max.app" and post the result here?

radicalism.us

Post by radicalism.us » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:56 pm

Thanks. That actually helped. When the delete preferences utility exhibited same non-functionality, I pointed the finger at my de-compressor Zipeg and downloaded an alternative; "The Unarchiver". That worked. I am not sure what the problem was with zipeg which has worked fine for a couple of years for me.

Max worked great for me. Big man-hug to the team! This software did a great job, made it easy and converted high quality music files that no other open source I could find could.

A note on the struggle to find Max. Googling the terms "ape and osx and convert" produced bad results. It took some time to get to you. As the open-source ape converter for normal humans, a little Search Engine Optimization would go a long way.. If I can, I will blog it later.

MAX!

TomSzr

Post by TomSzr » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:43 am

I'm having a similar problem, but using the alternative extractor didn't work for me. I download, extract, run delete preferences (even though I didn't have an earlier version installed), and then run the Max app. It appears on my Dock, bounces once, shows the white dot under it, and then...nada. I think this is an error message I got from console:

12/3/08 11:35:28 PM Max[393] -[FileConversionController loadWindow]: failed to load window nib file '/Users/thomasszromba/Desktop/Max-0.8.1/Max.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/FileConversion.nib'.

Can anyone help? I'm new to mac and really want this to work, but it's frustrating. Thanks!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:57 am

It seems that your version of Max might be incomplete. Where did you download it from?

TomSzr

Post by TomSzr » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:59 am

I used the link on the upper right from this page:

http://sbooth.org/Max/

Thanks.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:20 am

Can you open Max.app with Finder and navigate to Contents/Resources/English.lproj and see if FileConversion.nib is in there? If it is, what are the permissions?

TomSzr

Post by TomSzr » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:28 am

It is there and I have read and write privileges. Is that what you meant?

And thanks again.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:35 am

That is what I meant. If you have read and write privileges to the file, the only thing I can think of is that somehow your file might have been corrupted. Did you upgrade from a previous version of Max?

TomSzr

Post by TomSzr » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:37 am

No. First time I downloaded was today. I need a way to convert a bunch of .ape lossless files to Apple Lossless. Should I trash everything and start again?

TomSzr

Post by TomSzr » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:27 pm

That worked. Don't know why it was corrupted the first time...

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:58 pm

TomSzr wrote:I'm having a similar problem, but using the alternative extractor didn't work for me. I download, extract, run delete preferences (even though I didn't have an earlier version installed), and then run the Max app. It appears on my Dock, bounces once, shows the white dot under it, and then...nada. I think this is an error message I got from console:

12/3/08 11:35:28 PM Max[393] -[FileConversionController loadWindow]: failed to load window nib file '/Users/thomasszromba/Desktop/Max-0.8.1/Max.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/FileConversion.nib'.

Can anyone help? I'm new to mac and really want this to work, but it's frustrating. Thanks!
Looking at the path there, it seems you have Max on the Desktop. Now I'd suppose it probably would run from there with no problems, but you'd ideally want to put it in one of the places where the system is expecting to find applications. The usual procedure is to drag the application bundle - what you see as the icon - to the Applications folder. That holds true whether you extract it from a tarball or from a "disk image" (a .dmg file). Then you run it from there.

With OS X you want, in any case, to keep the desktop clear, because, as I understand it, anything sitting on the desktop wastes resources because of the way that what's on the desktop is displayed.

Instead of using the main Applications directory (or /Applications) some people like to create another Applications directory inside their own Home area (i.e. ~/Applications) and put stuff that they themselves install in there (as opposed to what Apple pre-installs). There are complicated arguments about what's best based around what the ownership and permissions are (or should be) on particular directories and applications.

In any case the system is expecting to find programs in /Applications or ~/Applications not on the Desktop.