"iTunes got an error: A descriptor type mismatch occurred."

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
mikegrenwick

"iTunes got an error: A descriptor type mismatch occurred."

Post by mikegrenwick » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:02 am

Any ideas with this?

When I try to have Max import songs automatically to i-Tunes from Max.

ripla

Re: "iTunes got an error: A descriptor type mismatch occurred."

Post by ripla » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:24 pm

Same for me. Seems to be a quite common problem. It's just strange that everything works ok, it's just the annoying error message. There seems to be no fix for this version...

dhodory

Post by dhodory » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:07 pm

Is there any solution or work-around for this? Is this typical for this version? This problem, for me, is a total road block to using what otherwise appears to be exactly what I want (a good LAME-based encoder that ports the encode directly over to iTunes).

Help! Anyone?

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:30 pm

The problem has been reported several times since Max 0.8. Apparently no one has found a solution or workaround. The problem is so disturbing that one would expect many more complaints. Maybe it does not happen to all users? Searching the forums I could not find any comment by Stephen Booth about this problem.

dhodory

Post by dhodory » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:50 pm

Ok, I'm new here (actually new to Mac, OS X, iTunes and Max . . . . so a lot to learn), so if this is a stupid question, please forgive me. Is it possible to contact Stephen directly via email?

kolonelpanik

Post by kolonelpanik » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:35 am

Well, if it helps, here's another instance. I'm in the middle of my first use of Max, converting some Kraftwerk flac files to Apple Lossless and having them auto stuffed into my iTunes Library. Every single track returns this error, and Max jumps up and down like a little girl with the answer until I click OK. Otherwise, everything is working as expected -- finally. Finally, because it took me an embarrassing number of hours to "find" Apple Lossless inside one of two (why two?) MPEG4 choices in the Formats tab. That's another issue, but I'm just sayin'...
All in all, a very nice piece of work that ought to be better known.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:14 pm

dhodory wrote:Ok, I'm new here (actually new to Mac, OS X, iTunes and Max . . . . so a lot to learn), so if this is a stupid question, please forgive me. Is it possible to contact Stephen directly via email?
You can PM him. Under everyone's avatar (or simply their login), on the right of a post in a forum is an icon for PM (Private Message). BTW, check your messages.

bluecifer

Post by bluecifer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Yeah, I keep getting this too - is there a workaround? I'm trying to get my whole huge CD Collection digitized and having to come back every five seconds to dismiss this message is annoying as all get out. Otherwise I quite like this program.

bluecifer

Post by bluecifer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:42 pm

*NOTE* I do not get this error when I have used the "Get Metadata from iTunes" script. Then it just rips along as normal.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:17 am

bluecifer wrote:*NOTE* I do not get this error when I have used the "Get Metadata from iTunes" script. Then it just rips along as normal.
I wonder if it's an issue with the way the metadata is encoded then. But anything I could say would only be a guess as I'm not a programmer.

As a workaround, you might consider always using the "Get Metadata from iTunes" script. If you put the script in:

~/Library/iTunes/Scripts

(creating a folder "Scripts", if necessary), then it will always be available from the menubar whenever iTunes is running and in front. It's seen as a stylized 3-D S-shape just to the left of the "Help" menu item.

bluecifer

Post by bluecifer » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:50 pm

Yeah - that's essentially what I did - I think it has something to do with the way the tags come up from MusicBrainz - it has been notoriously bad at recognizing my CD's anyway - I prefer freeDB - I tried to clean up all of my tags last month with MusicBrainz and it messed up a good bunch of my songs - especially the singles - it tossed them all into compilation CD's and I could not convince it otherwise. Odd. Anyway, long story short - the Meta Data script sits securely in my dock while I do all of this ripping and it seems to be working fine so far.

Thanks for the suggestion.

smiler

Post by smiler » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:08 pm

Just to say, I've just noticed this problem. Normally, I rip to a folder then import the folder into iTunes manually (a hang-over from always dual-ripping to FLAC and AAC). Thought I'd try this out, then this problem!

I know the problem could be worked-around with a folder-action AppleScript, but I don't have the time to do it at the moment. Basically, a special kind of AppleScript sits in a folder, and you rip your music to that folder. Whenever a file is added to that folder, Finder runs the AppleScript. The script could add the file new file to iTunes, then move it to the Trash (saves you extra work if iTunes is 'managing' your library folder).

Thing is, now is not the time for me to be worrying about this, so I can't really write the script at the moment. Exam revision to be doing... *sigh*
Regards,
smiler =)

Play: 0.1.3b (r.964)
Max: 0.7.1
Music collection: FLAC, AAC-LC (160k VBR for iPod)

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:32 pm

smiler wrote:I know the problem could be worked-around with a folder-action AppleScript
"descriptor type mismatch" is an AppleScript error, isn't it?

Max is using an AppleScript for this purpose. Right-click on Max's icon in the Finder and choose "Show package contents". Here it is:

Code: Select all

/Applications/Max/Contents/Resources/Add to iTunes Library.scpt
If you're familiar with AppleScript why not modify that existing script as necessary to correct whatever the problem is? AFAIK, Max is GPLed so you're permitted to modify the code under the terms of the licence.

DaftUnion

Post by DaftUnion » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:04 pm

Or...if you're still using Tiger and not Leopard, you could try Max version 0.7.1.

This will only work if you're on the Tiger OS though.

If you are, this version is rock solid and I never get any errors when I have the box checked for automatically adding the songs into iTunes.