Best way to archive CDs

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
Horus

Best way to archive CDs

Post by Horus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:29 am

Hello,

I'm currently in the process of ripping all my CDs as FLAC for archiving. What are the optimal settings for Max for this purpose? Currently I use FLAC with standard settings and create a CUE sheet. I'm using the cdparanoia ripper.

Anything to improve?

Thanks,

Florian

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Best way to archive CDs

Post by sbooth » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:02 pm

FLAC with a cue sheet is a good option. The default compression settings should be enough, but if you are archiving once for long-term storage you could always increase the compression level to try and save a small amount of space. If you use iTunes you might also consider Apple Lossless because it will work with iTunes while FLAC will not.

Other notes- Max's ripping engine does not include AccurateRip support, which is one way to help verify if you have any errors in your rip. Also, Max does not support drive read offsets for ripping or detection of CD pregaps. While for the average person these are not a big deal, for some audio fanatics they are deal-breakers. I am working on a ripper that has these features.

Horus

Post by Horus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:34 pm

Thanks for your posting!

When I've started archiving I've embedded no cue sheet. What are the negative effects of a missing cue sheet?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:59 am

If you have archived to an image and have no cue sheet (external or embedded) it will be next to impossible to recover the individual CD tracks.

Horus

Post by Horus » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:26 am

But I already have one file for one track. (ripped it this way).

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:41 pm

In that case you probably aren't missing much without a cue sheet. You won't be able to burn an exact replica of the original CD since you don't know what the pregaps were, but otherwise you should be OK.

Horus

Post by Horus » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:48 pm

Thanks, it's good to hear that from an expert!

.-)