DVD-Audio Ripping

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
elduderino

DVD-Audio Ripping

Post by elduderino » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:36 pm

Guys,

I have been struggling with this one for some time now. I have a fairly large number of DVD-Audio discs that are amazing recordings. I'd like to archive these and rip them properly. Of course, it's not so easy. I have seen folks elsewhere suggest that I use something like Audio Hijack to simply "record" the active music stream coming across the sound card. From that .wav file or whatever, I could split up into the various tracks, index them, label them, convert to FLAC and MP3 as I do, etc. I'm sure this approach would work okay.

But...before I use this rather low-tech approach, I would like to find out if there is some way to actually rip the audio content off of these discs, somewhat preserving the actual quality of the tracks. I use Handbrake for DVD video discs, but I hear that isn't going to help me here.

Has anyone else been down this road? Any/all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

elduderino

Re: DVD-Audio Ripping

Post by elduderino » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:37 am

For those that may be interested, after 2 days solid of poking around on this, I think I've finally got it. The solution I found was based on information in this thread:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=96860

Basically, the only real solution to this involves using a Windows program called DVDAExplorer. I am running it in a WinXP VMWare Fusion slice on my Mac. It is an amazing program actually - it decrypts the DVDA encryption, extracts the MLP or PCM data, preserves the 'chapters' which are the individual tracks, and converts them to .wav files losslessly. I save the output in a Shared directory via VMFusion, which is shared with my host Mac OS. Switching over to the normal Mac OS then, I then use Max to convert the .wav files to FLAC and 320kbps MP3. Once done, the tunes are organized just like my other music.

The nice part is that in my ongoing testing, Max seems to preserve the high bit rate audio tracks very well during conversion of these high rez .wav files. Many of these discs contain 24bit/96Khz audio tracks, and some have 16bit/48Khz tracks, still others have 24bit/48Khz tracks, and believe it or not, I even have discs like R.E.M.'s In Time DVD-Audio disc which includes the tracks in 2-channel 24bit/192Khz resolution.

Stephen, can you comment on the way you handle 24bit/96Khz and 24bit/192Khz in Max? Are my impressions accurate? What am I overlooking here in the chain?

Thanks much!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:47 am

I wasn't aware of DVDAExplorer- thanks for the link!

If Max is working correctly, when converting to a lossless format (FLAC, ALAC, WAV, etc) the bit depth and sample rate will be preserved. For lossy formats the way audio is handled varies. For MP3 and Ogg Vorbis, the samples will be converted to floating point before encoding but the sample rate should remain the same. I say should because MP3 does not support anything but 32, 44.1 and 48 kHz.

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:28 am

No problem, glad to help! Now if I could only figure out a way to rip DTS CD's, I'd really be all set...this format was really promising for a time, and I've got about 25 of them. Unfortunately, most people never knew they existed.

Thanks for the explanation of Max behavior with high quality files. I see the bit depth staying at 24bit for the FLAC rips from WAV, very nice stuff. Speaking of behavior, I am noticing that Play will play a 24/96Khz FLAC file just fine, but seems to have a problem with 24bit/192Khz like on the REM rips from DVD-Audio. Can you confirm that Stephen? It sure would be nice to be able to play these 24/192 FLAC's back on my system to ensure they actually work! Play seems to hang and require force quitting when I attempt it.

I'm really psyched to have conquered the DVD-Audio issue, now I'll look into DTS CD's...

Thanks again!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:45 am

Play should handle all bit depths and sample rates- I don't believe I've had a 192 kHz FLAC for testing, though. I will see if i can find one to verify things.

keven

Post by keven » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:02 am

handbrake can rip dvd to audio files

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:33 pm

keven wrote:handbrake can rip dvd to audio files
Umm, no, you missed the point. This has nothing to do with ripping a standard DVD to audio files. The topic was about ripping DVD-Audio format discs, and yes, they are different. If you understand they are different type of discs, and you know what they are that is - and no, handbrake cannot do anything with them. Handbrake is useless in this endeavor.

But thanks for playing.