error correction

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
chris31fr

error correction

Post by chris31fr » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:55 am

Hi,

I though " error correction" was a software correction in case of problem on cd and if we don't choose this option, max or other, will try to rip many times without correcting before giving up...
however I can see : " choose X times before giving up " option in correction error panel ,?? usually we choose "error correction" to avoid the giving up ? It should corect as soon as seeing an error ? And we must choose 20 or more time before giving up if we doesn't choose "error correction ??

(Sorry for my english I m from France...)

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: error correction

Post by sbooth » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:35 pm

The error correction in Max is fueled by cdparanoia. It works by repeated re-reads of sectors on the disc, attempting to adjust for jitter and other inconsistencies. Since some discs are damaged, no amount of re-reads can produce correct data. So, the setting in Max indicates the most times a sector will be re-read before the ripper moves on.

chris31fr

Post by chris31fr » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:41 pm

Thanks

But I'm not sure to understand very well :|

If I use error correction and I have a damage on the disk, max will reread x times but at the end will he replace or create the missing information or will he give up ? or will he rip a "ploc" ?

If I don't use error correction what append in this case ?

Re Thanks

PS what about itunes? is it the same way of ripping ? does he create bit in case of damage?
Last edited by chris31fr on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

chris31fr

Post by chris31fr » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:56 pm

chris31fr wrote:Thanks

But I'm not sure to understand very well :|

If I use error correction and I have a damage on the disk, max will reread x times but at the end will he replace or create the missing information or will he give up ? or will he rip a "ploc" ?

If I don't use error correction what append in this case ?

Re Thanks

PS what about itunes? is it the same way of ripping ? does he create bit in case of damage
Up :)
Last edited by chris31fr on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

chris31fr

Post by chris31fr » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:05 am

Nobody knows ? :(

khead

Post by khead » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:59 pm

Yup - Nobody knows.

According to the documentation, CDParanoia will try to interpolate out some errors, and the drive probably also tries to do it to some degree. How exactly CDParanoia will react with any particular drive seems to be a bit of a mystery, and you just have to try different combinations to find one that provides the best results for you.

Even less is known about how iTunes works.

chris31fr

Post by chris31fr » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:03 pm

thanks

chris31fr

Post by chris31fr » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Hi
I'm back with questions about ripping stting:
Why can I select basic ripping in the options and paranoia active at the same time ?
I can choose in options "paranoia and désactive it at the same time.
I dont speak about comparaison at the same time than paranoia actived....

What should I do ? If I want paranoia I must select it in the option and then activate it ?
In this case I think If we choose "basic" in options should desactivate "paranioa automaticely in paranoia tune?
thanks

ps: I don't know yet when I ripp with paranoia If max creates an information to replace the error after the XXX times ?
ANd in the basic mode how many times he passes in case of error...

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:12 pm

The interface is indeed confusing because settings that do not apply are not hidden or inactive.
You choose one of the three ripping modes at the top. The paranoia settings apply only when paranoia is selected, the comparison ripper settings apply only when comparison ripper is selected.

It is indeed strange also that you can select paranoia and at the same time disable error correction. I do not know what kind of ripping is executed with paranoia ripping and error correction disabled.

As far as I know, with Basic ripper there is no error correction.

chris31fr

Post by chris31fr » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:27 pm

Thanks for your reply :wink:

You means in basic mode there is only one read ?

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:02 pm

I really do not know. All my CDs are in good or excellent condition and I do all ripping with Paranoia ripper and the default settings for Paranoia. To my ears the resulting (lossless encoded) files sound identical to the original CD if played on the same equipment using the same D/A converter.