iTunes and OGG files

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
douga

iTunes and OGG files

Post by douga » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:30 am

Here's my question, and I hope it hasn't been asked:

I'm using iTunes 8, and I've been using Max to rip Ogg Vorbis files. I have "Add output files to iTunes Library" checked in preferences.

However, nothing gets imported to the iTunes library. I figured this was because of iTunes 8. However, here's my question: is there a way to make iTunes recognize the vorbis tags when adding to the library.

My apologies for not sticking to strictly Max issues, but this is getting frustrating; when I add tracks to the library, I have to manually set the track order.

Thanks.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: iTunes and OGG files

Post by sbooth » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:32 pm

iTunes doesn't support Ogg Vorbis natively- I assume you are using the XiphQT components to let iTunes play the files?

In theory Max uses AppleScript to set the metadata for files within iTunes, although I haven't tested with the newest version of iTunes.

douga

Post by douga » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am indeed using the XiphQT component to play ogg files in iTunes.

Is the AppleScript that controls the metadata external to Max? Perhaps I could test it within the script editor?

One more thing -- when I produced MP3 files with Max, they were automatically added to the iTunes library.

Thanks.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:30 pm

I'd forgotten how this was implemented- Ogg Vorbis is marked as non-compatible with iTunes, so Max won't attempt to add the files. If this is something you are interested in I can give you a tiny modification to the source that would let this work.

douga

Post by douga » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:37 pm

sbooth wrote:I'd forgotten how this was implemented- Ogg Vorbis is marked as non-compatible with iTunes, so Max won't attempt to add the files. If this is something you are interested in I can give you a tiny modification to the source that would let this work.
That would make my life a lot easier :) -- all of my audio is encoded in ogg vorbis, and it's something I'd like to continue.

Many thanks,

Doug

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:33 pm

OK, once you have the source code find the file "OggVorbisEncoderTask.mm". At the bottom of the file paste in this code:

Code: Select all

@implementation OggVorbisEncoderTask (iTunesAdditions)
- (BOOL) formatIsValidForiTunes { return YES; }
@end
Hopefully that should do it- but I haven't tested it out.

douga

Post by douga » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:48 pm

That does do it. I also got to look at the source a lot, which gave me a small glimpse into the fun and wackiness that is Objective-C (I'm a former C programmer who now lives full time in Java land).

Thanks again for the help and for creating Max in the first place.

Doug