iTunes won't import converted FLAC files

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
lennon_68

iTunes won't import converted FLAC files

Post by lennon_68 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:30 pm

I have some FLAC files that were ripped from a DVD-A disk. No matter what format I convert them to I cannot get them to import into iTunes. Most of the formats will play fine in Quicktime but iTunes just won't recognize them. I don't think it helps that they are 6-channel audio files (when I try to convert to MP3 it tells me it only supports 2-channel).

Any ideas/recommendations? I'm no expert at audio file conversion, perhaps there's a different format that I should be using. I've tried ALAC, AAC, WAV, AIFF (these imported into iTunes but wouldn't play!), OGG FLAC (tried using this as an intermediary to another format), and probably a couple others.

Newsociety

Re: iTunes won't import converted FLAC files

Post by Newsociety » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:26 pm

Hi,

I do a fair amount of audio recording/ editing and have helped several friends out of a jam such as yours.
What's happening is iTunes cannot convert your 6 channel tracks until they are first interlaced into a single mono or stereo track, it just isent designed so (itunes).
What I would do is import those tracks into Logic Pro (Pro Tools can do the same) and start a proedure called "bounce" or bouncing.
What this does is create a single interlaced audio track (mono or stereo) which can then be imported into iTunes and converted into any format you wish. I'm not sure of what other software can do this as my experience has been with more "Professional" software. Perhaps someone on the board can answer that, or a Google search can help you out.

I hope this helps and points you in the right direction, let me know how it turns out for ya.

-N-