Output into two different folders

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
Brakalasa

Output into two different folders

Post by Brakalasa » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:59 am

Hi,

I am ripping CDs and then converting them into two different formats: Apple Lossless for iTunes and FLAC for my Twonky Media Server.

Is it possible to make Max output the two different formats into two seperate folders?

Tom

Fuga

Re: Output into two different folders

Post by Fuga » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:28 pm

Best you can do is put a symlink in the output folder. Works great. I have a few. Note: symlink and not alias.

My Output destination is on my main external drive for my main end result of ALAC. But I sometimes have cause to do any/all of of AAC, MP3, FLAC - each destinied to reside on different drives/partitions/locations. Symlinks for each of those site in my Output directory on that main external drive.

But what would indeed be better is some system of pre-defined outputs to be associated with formats (or anything else). The idea of Output flexibility has come up before. This ticket lists as an enhancement but it hasn't been accepted.

telecaster

Post by telecaster » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:07 pm

hi Fuga.
Regarding your reply about using symlink, as I am not too good with computers
I have no idea of how to do this, can you please provide us novices with an
how to post so we can do this?
I am too ripping to FLAC and Apple lossless and would love to have the files
go to two different folders. :mrgreen:

Thanks!
best regards

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:30 pm

Fuga,

I like your idea of symlinks, certainly a good use for them here. But I just wanted to mention for the record that it is indeed possible to configure Max's output to go to different folders, if they are on the same volume...here is how I currently configure the Max 'Output' pref's:

{fileFormat}/{albumArtist}/{albumTitle}/{trackNumber} {trackTitle}

I rip in FLAC and 320kbps MP3. So the above config has the result of delivering the FLAC and MP3 outputs to 2 different directories under the main directory of 'Music Library'....of course, all on one volume, all in the same general location, just under 2 different branches of the directory tree. This is useful for me for all the tie-ins I have from things like uPnP server, Firefly, etc. It also keeps things nice and logically separated for the lossy and lossless sides of things.

As for delivering the output to 2 different directories on 2 (or more) different drive paths/volumes, etc., I agree that this would be a very nice enhancement for a future Max release. I'm sure many of us would benefit from this. In the meantime, I would agree that your symlink approach is the only reasonable way to achieve this.

Just my 2 cents.

telecaster

Post by telecaster » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:57 pm

Hi
Thanks for the advice, I tried it but still both the FLAC files and the Apple Lossless files land in the same folder.
I guess I have done something wrong, I copied the line you wrote into MAX preferences,
but do I need to tick off more of the possible choices in preferences?

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:04 pm

telecaster wrote:Hi
Thanks for the advice, I tried it but still both the FLAC files and the Apple Lossless files land in the same folder.
I guess I have done something wrong, I copied the line you wrote into MAX preferences,
but do I need to tick off more of the possible choices in preferences?
Make sure the checkmark directly above the output line is checked...it says something like "Use Custom format for file naming"...that should work just fine once you create the directories...so, again, I have at the top level a directory called Music Library...under that, I have a directory called MP3 and one called FLAC...I point the output to the directory called Music Library, and Max does the rest for me. Works like a champ.

telecaster

Post by telecaster » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:09 pm

THANKS A LOT!!!
It works like a charm, I just had to close Max and the restart it after I changed the preferences, this is just what I was looking for, saves me a lot of work!
Really nice, thanks again!
:mrgreen: