Max .8.1 and a Mac Pro

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
magicgravy

Max .8.1 and a Mac Pro

Post by magicgravy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:22 pm

I just received a Mac Pro, 2 x 3GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon. Currently running using the minimum RAM provided by Apple (2GB), (awaiting my 16GB from crucial).

Max doesn't seem too happy right now - taking 98% of CPU (says activity monitor), and using 1GB of RAM. It goes into "not responding" mode, even as I open Firefox to type this message. Gets hung up on a process until I quit all other applications and leave Max to run alone.

I can't drag a handful of folders (20 or so folders of FLAC to MP3 320 conversion using external USB 2.0 drive) without spinning for a long time. Even 6 folders dragged takes a minute to process (time i wait for activation of the "enocode" button").

Is this a RAM issue? Does MAX have any sort of RAM limitations, something to prevent itself from eating up all my resources? Would it be possible to have a "max" amount of brain space that this software can have access to? Doesn't OS X handle this in a smart way, which is why we don't have to allocate memory to different applications on a case by case basis anymore?

Now that I am typing in this window for 5 minutes and haven't been searching internet, MAX is back at it and the "not responding" has more or less gone away, but the progress in the encoder window is nowhere near constant, every minute or so there is activity for about a minute or so, then a pause for about a minute.

I am trippin', cause I thought a high end mac pro may improve how Max runs - I will def. give a speed update once the RAM arrives.

jay

OS 10.5.4
2GB RAM
2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

magicgravy

Re: Max .8.1 and a Mac Pro

Post by magicgravy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:00 pm

more info: i left Max to run alone with no other applications running - it hangs around 97-98 CPU according to the activity monitor. When it is working, it is above 100, if it is not working, it is just below it.

no file had been converted in over 10 minutes (though it was not hung up, Max is listed as "not responding" but CPU use changes once and a while). once i ran another program, (mac par deluxe), Max seemed to "wake up" and start working. once the other program stopped its work (pretty memory intensive app itself), so did Max.

I am confident this is something new as I have been running Max to convert many TB of FLAC to MP3 since February, using a macbook 1st gen 2GHz intel core duo with 2gb of RAM. It has never behaved like this before and handled itself better (consistent processing, albeit at a slower rate) than it does in this new environment. I can of course go back to using my mac book, but am a bit confused as i thought a newer, faster mac might.......

thanks for a great product, none the less, our project is now complete, thanks to Max!

Jay