Append gap instead of prepend?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
Nubben

Append gap instead of prepend?

Post by Nubben » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:36 am

Hi,

One annoying thing I have found with Max is the fact that when (for instance) taking a ripped-to-one APE file with its cue sheet, Max will only append any pre-gaps at the beginning of the tracks instead of at the end which is the norm. :?

Does Max have a feature or is Stephen planning on adding a feature to optionally include/exclude pre-gaps and if chosoing to include them, be able to choose where to append - before or after track?

Thanks.

Nubben

Fuga

Re: Append gap instead of prepend?

Post by Fuga » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:13 pm

Where is it the norm for gaps to be at the end of a file? cdparanoia (Mac preferred ripper) and EAC (Windows preferred) both do as the CD does - put gaps at the beginning. All CDs have a "Red Book standard" 2 second gap at the beginning of the CD and it goes at the front of the first track's "sound." Watch a CD player's display and you will see, especially with classical, sometimes many seconds before the sound actually begins. And, no, it's not just on incerdibly quiet beginnings; some gaps are just long.

Now why, when making a CUE sheet, this method is called "non-compliant," I have long forgotten.

Nubben

Post by Nubben » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:27 pm

Thanks for your input Fuga.

Although I value your input it didn't really answer my questions. Anyone else?

Btw, having gaps in the beginning of tracks is fine if you're listening to a whole album one track after the other and without shuffling. But if you have a 3 or 4 sec gap in a song and you have picked that song to be included in a playlist there will be a 3-4 sec gap in the beginning of the song. That's nuts. Id on't want to wait 3-4 seconds to hear a song.

If a gap like that is included on a CD it was the engineer's intention to include it - not as a standard for CDs in general. As an example, Peter Gabriel's So remastered version has a 6 sec gap between the penultimate and last song. It fits into the overall experience of the CD. A "breather" before the last song of the album. However, if I wanted to listen to that last song individually in a mixed track playlist I would have to wait 6-7 seconds before the song started. Even you must agree that's not great in an iPod world.

Thanks.

Nubben

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:00 pm

Pregap handling is one item on my long list of feature requests! I agree it would be nice to have.

Please post a feature request for the specific functionality you want, as sometimes things get buried in the forums.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:44 pm

OK, Nubben, that does make sense. I wouldn't have bothered writing if I had known. It's really never come up before, or at least I hadn't noticed. I had never really dealt with it that way. And the standard to which I referred is the 2 seconds at the beginning of any CD's first track. It's gotta be there. Between others, of course there's no standard, as anyone ever hearing a live production knows. My reference point is ripping mostly classical, not to say I don't have a few thousand non-classical tracks laying about. I hadn't come across the issue but will probably do so quite soon and say to myself, "Damn! When's the music gonna start?!"