Musicbrainz

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
avta

Musicbrainz

Post by avta » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:07 pm

When I insert a cd no track information shows up. I've tried a few cd's with the same result. I'm using 0.8.1 with OSX 10.4.11. The track info shows up in iTunes. Any ideas?

Mike1

Re: Musicbrainz

Post by Mike1 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:45 pm

avta wrote:When I insert a cd no track information shows up. I've tried a few cd's with the same result. I'm using 0.8.1 with OSX 10.4.11. The track info shows up in iTunes. Any ideas?
It's a known problem, so to speak. Max uses a different database from iTunes. It uses a service called MusicBrainz. Now either MusicBrainz's database is not as extensive as some of the others, or there's some other problem (or both). MusicBrainz has also got a web interface, and on occasion when people check that they find the album they were looking up is listed there; so it can't always be the depth of their catalogue that's the problem. I've wondered at times if it's simply that their servers are down a lot of the time. Who knows?

At any rate, if you get nothing back when you query you can pull the information into Max from iTunes. Max's author, Stephen, has provided a script that will do that. It's here:

http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1930

There is also a copy of the script inside the compressed download with the latest versions of Max. On the advice of another poster here, I keep the script in:

Code: Select all

~/Library/iTunes/Scripts
Then, when iTunes is in the foreground, the script is available in the menubar, just to the left of the "Help" item.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:34 am

Mike1 wrote:It's a known problem, so to speak. Max uses a different database from iTunes. It uses a service called MusicBrainz. Now either MusicBrainz's database is not as extensive as some of the others, or there's some other problem (or both). MusicBrainz has also got a web interface, and on occasion when people check that they find the album they were looking up is listed there; so it can't always be the depth of their catalogue that's the problem. I've wondered at times if it's simply that their servers are down a lot of the time. Who knows?
The servers are only very rarely down. One thing to note is that MusicBrainz doesn't work in the same way as FreeDB and CDDB. MusicBrainz aims to be a database of music in general and looking up the info for a CD is only one part of it. You don't need to have a physical copy of the CD to enter the information into the database, so there are quite a few albums where MusicBrainz has a track listing but doesn't know the CD TOC. The reason then that Max doesn't find the CD is that nobody with the CD has come along and said something like "this CD I have here corresponds to that album there" to the database. Max already has the information needed to open the page on the website where people could associate the CD with the right album if they wanted to, but there's no way to actually get Max to do that right now that I know of.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:26 am

mouse wrote:The reason ... that [MusicBrainz] doesn't find the CD is that nobody with the CD has come along and said something like "this CD I have here corresponds to that album there" to the database.
It's impressive that it speaks English, even if it is a pretty much useless database.

In any event, there's a script here to pull the information out of iTunes:

http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1930

stokessd

Post by stokessd » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:30 pm

IS here a way to push the info I grabbed from iTunes back to musicBrainz? I'd love to see a button in Max that would let me share the data I've got back to the community.

Sheldon