How do I get artwork into iTunes?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
Kyle76

How do I get artwork into iTunes?

Post by Kyle76 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:16 pm

I am converting my flac files to mp3 for use in iTunes. A have checked preferences to save album art with output files, but the art does not show up in the album file nor in iTunes. My albums are arranged by: songs and art in folder with album name, album folders grouped in folder with artist name.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: How do I get artwork into iTunes?

Post by sbooth » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:28 am

If you open the album art drawer is artwork displayed for the file that is selected?

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:01 am

I'll have to let you know tomorrow, as the hard drive containing my music files is at work, but I don't think the art was displaying in the artwork drawer. If not, what are my options?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:09 am

You can drag the artwork for the files into the image well in the drawer.

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:45 am

Is there any way to automate the process when you're converting an artist folder with multiple albums?

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:13 pm

The art does not show up in the art drawer when I drag an album folder into the conversion window. Even if I manually populate the drawer, art does not necessarily show up in iTunes. It has worked on some, but not on others. Is Max supposed to find the art in the album folder? Cover art is in each album folder, named "cover." All are .jpg files.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:02 am

It's necessary to set the album art for each track- either individually or en masse by selecting the desired tracks in the table.

Have you seen instances where a file shows album art in Max but the iTunes additions do not?

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:13 am

I loaded tracks into the conversion window and pulled art into the art drawer, but I did not actually choose tracks before converting. Do I need to select all of the tracks, import the artwork and then hit the conversion button?

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:50 am

Kyle76 wrote:I loaded tracks into the conversion window and pulled art into the art drawer, but I did not actually choose tracks before converting. Do I need to select all of the tracks, import the artwork and then hit the conversion button?
AFAIK, whether the tracks are selected or not depends, initially, on how you load the tracks. If you use "Convert" off the file menu and then choose a folder in the dialog the files are put in Max already highlighted. However, if the "File Conversion" window is already open and you drop a folder on it, the files aren't highlighted in the window. (There are other probably ways to load tracks -- I can think of at least one: by selecting some but not all of the files in a folder by command-clicking, which, by the looks of it, results in the last item selected only being highlighted.)

The point would seem to be that, whichever way you load the tracks, they must be "blue" before you pop the artwork drawer open and drag an image to it.

The only other option would seem to be to embed the artwork into the FLAC files before converting them with Max. (Later versions of FLAC can embed artwork, although the early ones couldn't.) Max will put artwork in a file during conversion if it finds one in the file that's being converted. However, AFAIK, there isn't a tagger on OS X that can add artwork en masse to FLAC files that lack it. Media Rage seems to be able to do it on a file-by-file basis, but can't operate on a per-folder basis (although it can when it comes to artwork for ID3 tags in MP3s).

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:07 pm

Thanks for the help. Looks like I'll be loading albums one-by-one.

cenk

Post by cenk » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:06 pm

The only other option would seem to be to embed the artwork into the FLAC files before converting them with Max. (Later versions of FLAC can embed artwork, although the early ones couldn't.) Max will put artwork in a file during conversion if it finds one in the file that's being converted. However, AFAIK, there isn't a tagger on OS X that can add artwork en masse to FLAC files that lack it. Media Rage seems to be able to do it on a file-by-file basis, but can't operate on a per-folder basis (although it can when it comes to artwork for ID3 tags in MP3s).[/quote]

When ripping original CD's to FLAC (I am also ripping them to MP3 to a separate folder), how can I make sure that cover art is embed into the FLAC file itself? Currently, in the album's folder, an albumname.jpg file comes together with the individual track files.

I am using Songbird as a FLAC player and when I import my FLAC files, it does not see the coverart... Any ideas why (although the .jpg file is in the album's folder)?

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:33 am

cenk wrote:When ripping original CD's to FLAC (I am also ripping them to MP3 to a separate folder), how can I make sure that cover art is embed into the FLAC file itself? Currently, in the album's folder, an albumname.jpg file comes together with the individual track files.

I am using Songbird as a FLAC player and when I import my FLAC files, it does not see the coverart... Any ideas why (although the .jpg file is in the album's folder)?
I haven't got Songbird currently installed. When I did have I'm pretty sure it could see the album art in FLAC files Max had encoded. I've still got the Songbird disk image:

Songbird_1.0.0-860_macosx-i686.dmg

Would that be the same version? As for Max, I'm using Max 0.8.1 (unstable).

EDIT

Obviously, I'd misremembered. I find this:
Currently, Songbird does not support embedded cover art in FLAC files. We only check .mp3 files with id3v2 tags. We plan to include FLAC embedded cover art support in a future release. To track the comments on this work item:

1. Go to the "people" box in the upper right hand corner of bug #13523;

2. Add your email in the "add cc" box;

3. Scroll down and hit commit.

If you don't have a free bugzilla account, signing up is quick and easy and will allow you to share your feedback directly with the development team.
http://getsatisfaction.com/songbird/top ... ngbird_1_0

The album art probably is in the files - it's just that Songbird isn't capable of showing it.

cenk

Post by cenk » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:09 pm

Many thanks for the answers... Is there a way to check whether cover art is embed in the FLAC files?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:25 am

You can use the command line program metaflac to examine and edit all of a FLAC's metadata.