resize/resample mp3

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
map

resize/resample mp3

Post by map » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:29 pm

I've tried to resize mp3-files from 192-320 kb/s to 128 kb/s with the Max-Converter (mp3, quality 50%, VBR128) for use them in phone (sony w880i/walkman). But they get lost the cover-tag and also the titels are shortened about 8 charaters.
What I have to do to receive mp3-files with less bitrate from mp3s with more size without lose the tags?

thanks map

Mike1

Re: resize/resample mp3

Post by Mike1 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:29 am

map wrote:I've tried to resize mp3-files from 192-320 kb/s to 128 kb/s with the Max-Converter (mp3, quality 50%, VBR128) for use them in phone (sony w880i/walkman). But they get lost the cover-tag and also the titels are shortened about 8 charaters.
What I have to do to receive mp3-files with less bitrate from mp3s with more size without lose the tags?
Can you confirm whether the cover-art is missing and the track name shortened in iTunes (as well as on the Sony phone) after the conversion?

I wonder if the version of ID3 tag used may be relevant -- just a guess. But what software were the tracks originally ripped and encoded with, and what version of ID3 tag does the software write?

Maybe you could experiment with changing the ID3 tags before converting the files and seeing whether the problem still occurs. You can highlight the tracks you intend to convert in iTunes and right-click on them, choosing the option: "Convert ID3 Tags..." I think I might try letting iTunes re-write the tags by that means. Perhaps you might try ID3 version 2.3 tags, which seem to be quite widely read.

map

Post by map » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:44 pm

Once I'd tagged the files with mp3tag and few month ago I've retagged them with iTunes and Tune.Instructor (force to fix the covers).
I've copied back the "wrong" files to the MAC. Strangely the tags and the filenames are always okay in the resized files.
But the phone doesn't display correctly the resized files. With the "original" mp3s there is no problem.
Before I've changed the musicfiles, the display showed also the covers, now anymore.

See the photo.
display.jpg
display.jpg (92.71 KiB) Viewed 2005 times

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:48 pm

I also wonder if ID3v2.4 tags are causing the issue. What ID3v2 tag version do the files which work on your phone contain?