iTunes metadata for AIFF?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
foustjrf

iTunes metadata for AIFF?

Post by foustjrf » Fri May 23, 2008 6:00 pm

I'm looking to convert a library worth of AIFF files to MP3. I'm quite new to Max and I'm just wondering if it's possible to pull iTunes metadata from the AIFFs when converting to MP3. Apparently the "Get iTunes Metadata" script is only for CDs?

If it's possible, please help out a clueless person!

Thanks!

jhart71

Re: iTunes metadata for AIFF?

Post by jhart71 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:51 pm

AIFF files do not store metadata - what you're seeing in iTunes is the iTunes library database. At least you have them all named, and not a bunch of "Untitled" tracks . . .

An intermediate step would be to convert your AIFF files to Apple Lossless within iTunes, thus trapping the metadata (because Apple Lossless supports it) and also not losing any quality (it's a lossless-to-lossless conversion).

You could then do anything you want with the Apple Lossless files, including manipulating them with Max into different formats.

Sounds like a pain, but you could really set them all up to convert and walk away . . .

doplay

Post by doplay » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:40 pm

Sorry, but iTunes does store metadata in aiffs. You can check it out by searching for the relevant text in a hex editor. iTunes even stores album art (jpegs) in it. With wavs it is different: wav files can hold metadata, but that's not very common and iTunes doesn't do it.

doplay

Post by doplay » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:53 pm

I'm afraid my last comment wasn't very constructive. Jhart's idea to first convert to apple lossless and then with Max to mp3 is indeed very good and the only workaround I can see.

I tried to adapt the 'Get Itunes Metadata' script but the 'File Conversion' window is not scriptable, so it really only works with CDs.