Why can't Max rip this disc?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
Rebel

Why can't Max rip this disc?

Post by Rebel » Thu May 22, 2008 10:25 am

Recently I was ripping some discs, and ran into a problematic one. I already posted one thread asking why Max couldn't retrieve the metadata. Then, several days later, I was adding all the converted tracks into iTunes, and discovered that all the tracks ripped from that one disc (FLAC & AAC) contained nothing but white noise. So I tried ripping it several more times, with the same result every time. I ripped another disc just fine, then re-ripped this one, again with white noise. I guessed that this disc has some form of copyright protection that Max was unable to bypass. I thought maybe I could get around the protection by making a copy of the disc then ripping the copy, as with DRM'd files. The copy played perfectly, but the ripped tracks were white noise.

I was about to give up on that disc, then remembered that Toast 9 had a converter. But I figured that if the disc really did have copyright protection, Toast would be useless, since I've read that Toast can't copy encrypted DVD's. I thought that between the two of them, Max would have a better chance of ripping an encrypted disc.
I ripped the tracks to FLAC using Toast, and the files played normally. Then I used Max to convert the FLAC to AAC and added them to iTunes. They played fine also.

I read the CD's tray insert and liner notes for any mention of copyright protection, but found none. I have successfully use Max to rip a newer title by this artist. I'm just wondering what the problem with this disc could be, in case I encounter this again. :?:

Mike1

Re: Why can't Max rip this disc?

Post by Mike1 » Thu May 22, 2008 11:40 am

Rebel wrote:The copy played perfectly, but the ripped tracks were white noise.
Which ripper have you got Max set to use? Is it CDParanoia?

There are a handful of threads here where people report white noise with some CDs when using the CDParanoia ripper. I'm one of those people. It's an infrequent problem, but it does occur. If that's the ripper you were using, you might try switching to one of the other two and re-ripping. There just seems to the the odd CD now and then that CDParanoia can't handle.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu May 22, 2008 12:39 pm

Hey, that was it! Any idea why this happens?

Thanks for the tip. :)

One more question: Since updating to 0.8.1, I no longer get a cue sheet, although the box is checked.
I've ripped to FLAC, AAC & Mp3, but get no cue sheet for any CD anymore.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:52 pm

Rebel wrote:Hey, that was it! Any idea why this happens?
No, sorry, none.
One more question: Since updating to 0.8.1, I no longer get a cue sheet, although the box is checked.
I've ripped to FLAC, AAC & Mp3, but get no cue sheet for any CD anymore.
I don't know. Does deleting the preferences file help?

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu May 22, 2008 1:33 pm

Trashing the prefs made no difference at all.

I just did it again and currently have 4 tracks ripped to FLAC, AAC & Mp3, and there's not a cue sheet in sight.

Guess I should post another thread with the topic.