Auto convert and auto quit.

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
joewen7

Auto convert and auto quit.

Post by joewen7 » Tue May 20, 2008 7:37 pm

Hi, Max is the fastest converter I've used til date. Awesome job!

I have a question though, is there a way in the future that Max might gain a auto-convert feature? Like if I double-click on a flac file, it will fire up Max and straight away do it's job without me clicking "Convert", and then even greater if it can auto-quit after it's done?

Or perhaps there already is such an option out there that I'm unaware of? I've search the forums, no luck..

Well, I guess this is sorta like a feature request, hope it's not in the wrong place or anything.

You have my thanks if you do implement this in the next release. Cheers! :D

Mike1

Re: Auto convert and auto quit.

Post by Mike1 » Wed May 21, 2008 9:06 am

joewen7 wrote:I have a question though, is there a way in the future that Max might gain a auto-convert feature? Like if I double-click on a flac file, it will fire up Max and straight away do it's job without me clicking "Convert", and then even greater if it can auto-quit after it's done?
I think what you're talking about there is a work-flow. It's the kind of thing you'd do with a script. Traditionally on the Mac people would do such things with AppleScript, and now, of course, there's Automator, which automates the process. Automator is something I've never been interested in, but it's meant for this kind of thing.

I don't think Max is scriptable*. But iTunes is scriptable, so you could probably do something like this with iTunes. You'd have to be starting with a format that iTunes understands, of course. Let's say you'd ripped and encoded some CDs with Max to Apple Lossless. (But FLAC may be possible.) You could make a workflow in Automator whereby, when you click on the Automator script, it fetches files from a specific directory, say:

~/Music/Max

and imports them into iTunes compressing them with your chosen encoder. The workflow could tell iTunes to quit when it had finished.

That's carrying out the sequence of actions you specify after the initiating one double-click with the mouse you're looking for, the only difference being that you click the script rather than the file.

________

* Sorry. I'm only guessing here.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Wed May 21, 2008 10:25 am

Mike1 wrote:* Sorry. I'm only guessing here.
Max is scriptable, see it's script dictionary:

- Launch Aplications/AppleScript/Script Editor
- Choose 'Open Dictionary...' from the File menu
- Select Max from the applications list and click 'Open'.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:39 am

RonaldPR wrote:
Mike1 wrote:* Sorry. I'm only guessing here.
Max is scriptable, see it's script dictionary:

- Launch Aplications/AppleScript/Script Editor
- Choose 'Open Dictionary...' from the File menu
- Select Max from the applications list and click 'Open'.
Thank you very much for that. I didn't know that, and it's always nice to learn new stuff.

Looking at that I see that:

Open a document
Convert an audio file to a different format
Quit the application

are all listed. That seems to be everything the OP wants for the workflow he's envisaging. I never learned AppleScript, so I can't offer him a script, but it looks as if everything is there for what he wants.

joewen7

Post by joewen7 » Sat May 24, 2008 1:06 am

Well, that's wasn't what I had in mind actually, but thanks for showing me a workaround! :D

What I had in mind was something more like XLD, where when you open the (flac) file with it, it will just automatically encode the file according to my saved preferences (it doesn't auto quit though). Unless there's some case where user input/confirmation is required, then it won't auto-convert, for example a full album ape file with a cue file, which will require splitting.

Well, basically sort of like how you would expect an zip/tar program to unzip/untar files. Just double click and it's done. Haha. So it's like having 2 more checkboxes in preferences, one with "Auto-process (newly added) files" and another "Quit when done". The checkboxes to make it optional, so people can choose. ^_^

Just my suggestion to make Max every little bit more useful. Thanks for listening.