Unable to read discs?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
RonaldPR

Re: Unable to read discs?

Post by RonaldPR » Thu May 15, 2008 12:16 pm

Rebel wrote:I posted this thread to get a simple answer why Max isn't providing the data that all my other apps can. Obviously I'm not going to get one. I have no more time or patience for this, and this will be my last reply.
You got that answer above. Max does not get the info because Max uses MusicBrainz to get the info. Only when MusicBrainz has the info, AND has that info coupled to the disk ID (which is derived from the track lengths on the disk), Max is able to retrieve the info.

MusicBrainz is very much incomplete and often incorrect. GraceNote (used by iTunes and Toast) is much better, but it cannot be build into Max because it is a commercial service that costs way beyond what the developer of this freeware application can afford to pay. The script enables Max to use the info that iTunes fetches from GraceNote.

In earlier versions, Max used FreeDB to get the disk info. FreeDB is a free service like MusicBrainz, better than MusicBrainz but still not as good as GraceNote. Some time ago there were problems in FreeDB, personal and commercial fights, and everyone expected FreeDB to stop its service. So Max was changed to use MusicBrainz. But FreeDB survived. It would be nice if in a next version Max would return to use FreeDB or would offer a choice between MusicBrainz and FreeDB.

All this has nothing to do with the MCN number. MCN is info about the CD that can be available on a CD. Max tries to read the MCN number if available and writes it in the metadata of formats that can store that info.

TranceSend

Post by TranceSend » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:38 pm

But FreeDB survived. It would be nice if in a next version Max would return to use FreeDB or would offer a choice between MusicBrainz and FreeDB.
Amen to that. I have almost 1,000 CD's; I'm nearing the end of my arduous task of ripping them to my new PC using MAX, and only about 2% of the CD's have been recognized. I've had to manually fill in all the album and track info for the rest, and even when CD info is found, I have to change all the words like "mix" or "remix" to "Mix" and "Remix", respectively, because apparently the person who submitted the info was allergic to uppercase M's and R's. I miss EAC.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:46 pm

You wouldn't need to change all those M's & R's manually if you used a script to do it for you. :shock:

Have you ever checked out DougScripts.com? Downloadable AppleScripts to automate lots and lots of tasks associated with iTunes. The one I would use for this task is Proper English Title Capitalization on this page http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/s ... =titlecaps.

Trust me, these scripts can save you a LOT of time and aggravation! 8)

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:23 am

TranceSend wrote:I've had to manually fill in all the album and track info for the rest
You could have used the script that gets the metadata from GraceNote via iTunes, see forum announcement topic. The script is included in the current Max version download.