Does the Amazon art option only work with CDs?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
bmoorhouse

Does the Amazon art option only work with CDs?

Post by bmoorhouse » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:49 pm

I just converted a bunch of FLAC files on my hard drive to Apple Lossless. Before converting, I set up the preferences to get the artwork from Amazon.com and to add the output to my iTunes Library. The conversion went great and everything appeared in iTunes, but there is no artwork. Does this feature only work with CDs or did I set it up wrong?

Also, I see the option to delete the original FLAC files. Is there an option to delete the output after it is imported to iTunes? With iTunes copying files to the Music folder, I end up with 2 copies - the Max Output file and the one in iTunes. At 20MB+ for each file, this adds up pretty quickly.

Thanks.

Mike1

Re: Does the Amazon art option only work with CDs?

Post by Mike1 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:27 pm

bmoorhouse wrote:I just converted a bunch of FLAC files on my hard drive to Apple Lossless. Before converting, I set up the preferences to get the artwork from Amazon.com and to add the output to my iTunes Library. The conversion went great and everything appeared in iTunes, but there is no artwork. Does this feature only work with CDs or did I set it up wrong?
I don't believe so. AFAIK, there's no way to make Max grab the art automatically even if you are ripping CDs. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I know no way to do it other than to click "Tools" in the menubar and select "Download Album Art...".

Now that menu option is only available when the window that shows the metadata is in focus, and you haven't got that window at all when you're converting.

Can't you get the album cover from the iTunes Store? Those are usually 600 x 600 pixels -- larger than even the largest images Amazon have and usually of better quality. But, of course, they don't have everything.