Output (WAV) settings

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
kneeslasher

Output (WAV) settings

Post by kneeslasher » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:00 am

Greetings.

I have a ton of APE encoded CDs I Want to convert to WAV. But there's no obvious default setting for a user like myself who doesn't need to be acquainted with more advanced information.

Is the way to do it to select WAVE (Core Audio) and 16 bit? This is what the last user who asked this was directed to use, but without explanation.

What are all the other bitrates for? What are the 2:1 settings? And should I or shouldn't I use the Microsoft / NIST output? What's the difference?

Regards & many thanks!

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Output (WAV) settings

Post by sbooth » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:41 pm

If you are working with CD audio 16-bit sample size is all you should need!

As for the other bit depths, there are a myriad of reasons to work with them but typically "normal" users won't. For example, It is possible to dither a file's resolution to reduce the disk space requirements or to fit certain hardware requirements. Mastering engineers typically work with audio at 24 bits so they can manipulate the audio in the digital domain without too much quality loss.

kneeslasher

Post by kneeslasher » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:13 pm

Thanks!

kneeslasher

Post by kneeslasher » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:07 pm

Er, one more thing.

I'm opening up the cue sheet (APE) in Max. It opens up OK, track names and everything are shown. But regardless of what settings I use for (wav) output, none of the track information is transferred to the wavs. So let us say a track is called (in Max), "Op 102, Allegro". The output file is simply called "CDImage.wav". The file has no tags either (although I'm unsure whether wavs can have tags or not). Even if I go into the preferences and manually set, using the format specifier, {albumTitle} - {discNumber} - {trackNumber} of {trackTotal} - {trackTitle}, I still get no track information! Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:35 pm

WAVE output isn't tagged by Max. There are some third party tools for tagging WAVEs ('id3 ' chunk but if you want to go the lossless route I would recommend FLAC, Apple Lossless, or WavPack since they all support metadata.

kneeslasher

Post by kneeslasher » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:35 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I'll try not to be sparse with details so it's clear what I'm aiming for:

- I have a ton of APE encoded CDs with cue sheets.
- I wish to turn them into WAVS with the *filenames* corresponding to the track name in the APE cue.

Unfortunately, due to the tools I am going to be using them, I do need the output as WAVs! So no encoding into other (taggable) formats yet.

So is my problem due to negligence on my part or am I trying something impossible? I want the WAV *filenames* to correspond to the APE/CUE *track names*. I am not trying to get the metadata into a wav tag, I just need the metadata *from* the APE/CUE to be used as the wav filename.

Many thanks for your time and efforts already: naturally, I am thrilled to be using the new Leopard compatible Max!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:37 pm

If the track names are present in the cue sheet, you can use them in the output file name. The default output format should have this, so I'm not sure why you aren't seeing it. What does your naming format look like?

kneeslasher

Post by kneeslasher » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:13 pm

Here's a concrete example.

A track from the APE/CUE opened up in Max has the title:

II. Menuetto. Allegretto - Trio - Coda

There is a "File Naming" section in the output preferences. In it, I set the output name to be (using the built in format specifiers):

{albumTitle} - {discNumber} - {trackNumber} of {trackTotal} - {trackTitle}

Then I shut downthe preferences and hit the convert button. It converts to a wav just fine, except that the name stay stubbornly stuck on CDImage.wav (the name of the initial APE/CUE was CDImage.ape/cue).

Do what I might, I simply cannot get the output filename to result in anything but CDImage.wav files! Even if I shut off the custom naming, the automatic naming still produces CDImage.wav files.

Help!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:52 pm

Just to confirm, you've opened the .cue file using the 'Open...' menu item and see a window similar to a CD's window where you can select individual tracks?

kneeslasher

Post by kneeslasher » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:23 pm

Yes, absolutely.

If I choose more than one track to convert, the (pre-extension) filename per track is incremented by a -1, -2, -3, etc.:

CDImage.wav
CDImage-1.wav
CDImage-2.wav
CDImage-3.wav
etc.

kneeslasher

Post by kneeslasher » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:24 pm

Each of those are the correctly decoded tracks. It's just the names that are the issue!

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:48 pm

When you define the file naming in preferences, you must hit TAB or RETURN after entering the name format and before closing the preferences window to make the entered format stick. Did you do that?

kneeslasher

Post by kneeslasher » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:09 pm

Yup: done that. Indeed whenever I open the naming preferences window again, I see my previously typed in stuff, so that isn't the problem. Nor does that explain how if I leave the settings on auto, the wav filename still doesn't pick up the track data so obviously displayed in the Max track listing of the APE/CUE.

epetitje

Post by epetitje » Sun May 11, 2008 6:21 pm

Hello,

I saw this thread and must tell that I have exactly the same problem when converting from to APE -> MP3 when using a cue sheet.
The tracks are named correctly in the cue sheet, the output format is defined in Max's preferences but the output file name is always the same and that's the name of the original APE file + output sound file extension.

example:
source APE:CDImage.ape
output:CDImage.mp3 CDImage1.mp3 CDImage2.mp3..... etc....

It would be wonderful to fix that bug because Max is great but so far I've had to fix the file names every time I use it.
thanx,

Etienne