Q from Max newbie

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
SimoninEaston

Q from Max newbie

Post by SimoninEaston » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:46 am

Hi,
I recently downloaded an old jazz album in Flac format. The downloaded files appeared to be full size, and play properly, using QuickTime Player. However, after I convert them to MP3 so I can add them to my iTunes library, some of the files only play part-way through, even though they show the correct time in iTunes (that is to say, a tune that shows as being 5.20 from beginning to end stops at, say. 3.32...) Where can I go from here? Does this mean the original download is corrupt, or does it mean the conversion went wrong (I've tried it several X...) What can I do to check?

Nubben

Re: Q from Max newbie

Post by Nubben » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:52 pm

Hi Simon,

I think Stephen (the developer) will have to help you with that. However, you can try another app called XLD and convert it to mp3 through that program - as far as I can remember it does encoding as well as decoding. xACT is another option. Try these and see if the encoding works in those apps first to narrow it down.

Also, did you have the beta version of 0.8 installed before? If so and you downloaded the stable version of 0.8 you should delete the preferences file using the included script. That could be the problem too.

Best to test different set-ups to verify it's actually Max that is causing the problem.

Nubben

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:11 pm

Also try separate steps. That is, convert FLAC to WAV or AIFF, then to MP3. Try different MP3 settings.

SimoninEaston

Post by SimoninEaston » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:40 am

OK Folks, I'll try your suggestions and let you know how I get on...