suggest a download and how do you pick a file

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
jackiejr

suggest a download and how do you pick a file

Post by jackiejr » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:29 am

Would you please suggest a download. Universal binary or source code. Also, I made a lame attempt to rip a cd but didn't see a choice for the file type. I cancelled. I'm a beginner. jj

Mike1

Re: suggest a download and how do you pick a file

Post by Mike1 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:52 am

jackiejr wrote:Would you please suggest a download. Universal binary or source code.
From this page:

http://sbooth.org/Max/

I'd choose the one Stephen has marked there as "unstable". (That's currently Max-r1357.tar.bz2.) That's the most recent version -- although not a full release version, which is why it is described as "unstable". However, AFAIK, the "unstable" version is nearing a full release. Besides, the release version is a bit old, and moreover will not work completely satisfactorily on Leopard if you have that.
... attempt to rip a cd but didn't see a choice for the file type.
Start Max. Open its Preferences (on the menubar Max > Preferences...). Click the "Formats" tab. Double-click the format of your choice. (Note: if you're looking for AAC, like iTunes uses, as opposed to MP3, you'd want the one labelled "MPEG4 Audio".)

RonaldPR

Re: suggest a download and how do you pick a file

Post by RonaldPR » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:26 am

The current latest "unstable" version r1357 does not work with Core Audio encoders in Tiger. Other encoders work fine in Tiger. In Leopard all encoders work. If your system is still Tiger and if you need specifically Core Audio encoders, use the latest release version 0.7.1. Otherwise, use the latest "unstable" version.