CD's from the 80's not ripping?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
speters

CD's from the 80's not ripping?

Post by speters » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:22 am

I am using Max 7.1 on a 8 Core Mac Pro running OS10.5.2. I have already ripped about 200 cd's. All of those where from the last 10-15 years. I am now trying to burn some of my cd's from the 80's and I am having some difficulty. After I hit encode, the ripper window comes up and the the first track says ripping, but nothing happens. I also have two other mac's, a G5 dual 2.0ghz and a G5 Quad 2.5 both running OS10.4.11. I have tried the same cd's on those computers and my oldest computer, the dual 2.0, will actually burn most of them. But there are certain cd's that will not even show up on my desktop. I tried using Max 8.0 but I still had the same problem. Most of these cd's look like they are almost new, so it's not scratches or dirty disc that is causing this. Any ideas?

RonaldPR

Re: CD's from the 80's not ripping?

Post by RonaldPR » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:47 am

Where you write "burn" you probably mean "rip"?
- Max 0.7.1 is not compatible with Leopard.
- When upgrading from 0.7.1 to 0.8 (use the latest release candidate) you should remove the preference file ~/Library/Preferences/org.sbooth.Max.plist before launching (again) Max 0.8.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:39 pm

I have ripped plenty of CDs from the 80s.

bdkennedy1

Post by bdkennedy1 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:37 pm

When CD's first came out in the early 80's, manufacturers said they would last 100 years, however that was wishful thinking. CD's manufactured in the 80's only last 20-25 years before the adhesives start breaking down, making the CD unreadable.

It's possible yours have already started to break down. I have several that are unreadable on many drives, but sometimes I get lucky and find a drive that can read it, and when it does I make a backup copy.

gojou

Post by gojou » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:27 pm

bdkennedy1 wrote:When CD's first came out in the early 80's, manufacturers said they would last 100 years, however that was wishful thinking. CD's manufactured in the 80's only last 20-25 years before the adhesives start breaking down, making the CD unreadable.

It's possible yours have already started to break down.
I have dozens of CDs I purchased in the 80s that are still in perfect condition. Granted, I have taken very good care of them, but I've yet to see evidence of this so-called "adhesive breakdown" problem with any of my 500+ CDs.

Newsociety

Post by Newsociety » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:44 pm

I've found that commercial CD's (store bought) are less prone to "adhesive breakdown". Though it does happen. It's the recordable CD's that are the worst for that, i've found that the better quality ones such as Maxell (my personal choice) are less prone to this. I suspect that trying different burners should get you up and running.