should I rip as a single file with cue sheet? or no?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
rydenfan

should I rip as a single file with cue sheet? or no?

Post by rydenfan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:43 pm

I am curious what people's preference is for ripping FLAC files. Do you check the boxes to rip as a single file? and to rip a cue sheet? or no? What are the advantages or disadvatages, if any, for this? Thanks! I look forward to the responses.

rydenfan

Re: should I rip as a single file with cue sheet? or no?

Post by rydenfan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:38 pm

Nobody has an opinion on this?

jhart71

Re: should I rip as a single file with cue sheet? or no?

Post by jhart71 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:18 am

The advantage is that you have a continuous, perfect representation of the original CD -- complete with correct gap lengths and (if applicable) gapless playback. A single file with cue sheet can be used to make individual tracks later.

The disadvantage is that you have album-length files, and if you're ripping lossless those files will be very large. They are also not ideal for HD-based iPods because of the cache (not sure how Flash-based iPods handle large files). You will not have the ability to create compilations, or easily listen to one track unless you create a "listening" version too.

If I were you, I would ask myself if I was really concerned with milliseconds (or 0 seconds) of data that exists only at the track breaks. Most programs (iTunes, Toast, etc.) do a very good job of reassembling individual tracks into an album . . . so much so that iTunes will recognize a burned CD in the Finder.

Me, I don't think I'll be ripping single files/cue sheets. I have adjusted to the "iTunes" way of handling music, which is track-by-track in a database manner. I want to be able to burn and play my Lossless tracks at will, without having to convert them later . . .

Hope this helps.