Silent Output??

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
krahn

Silent Output??

Post by krahn » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:46 pm

hi all,

i was very happy to find this program, as i release free albums at peppermillrecords.com and want to make the mp3's as professional as possible... and everything seemed to be going fine, i chose my mp3 output, but... only silence! even with the newer beta version. what might i be doing wrong? all other audio still works fine.

another question is about the quality. the main reason i want this is to eliminate the little click in between tracks that are supposed to flow into each other seemlessly. my wav files are fine, but Switch was butchering them. but, i just listened to the new NIN album which i read here was encoded in Max, and even that has clicks between the song. is this avoidable?

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Silent Output??

Post by sbooth » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:49 pm

krahn wrote:i was very happy to find this program, as i release free albums at peppermillrecords.com and want to make the mp3's as professional as possible... and everything seemed to be going fine, i chose my mp3 output, but... only silence! even with the newer beta version. what might i be doing wrong? all other audio still works fine.
What input format are you using?
another question is about the quality. the main reason i want this is to eliminate the little click in between tracks that are supposed to flow into each other seemlessly. my wav files are fine, but Switch was butchering them. but, i just listened to the new NIN album which i read here was encoded in Max, and even that has clicks between the song. is this avoidable?
It depends on the MP3 and on the player. LAME-generated MP3s have a VBR header that allows for gapless playback if the player supports it. What player are you using?

krahn

Post by krahn » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:02 pm

hi,

i'm inputting wav files made from logic studio, which my player, Cog, plays seemlessly.

so are you saying i should encode them as VBR for this kind of playback?

krahn

Post by krahn » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:10 pm

i just tried VBR with my old encoding program, it's slightly better, but still has a bit of a stutter before it goes to the next track, i don't want people to know where one ends and the other begins, i hope that's possible with mp3.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:41 am

Cog does not support gapless playback for MP3 files.

krahn

Post by krahn » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:45 am

oh is that my only problem then? since it worked for wav files, i assumed mp3's were the same... guess i'll rip it to my ipod and see what happens. thanks.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:43 am

I should probably say that Cog didn't USED TO support gapless MP3 playback- but I hadn't checked in a few versions. I just browsed the source code and it appears that the latest version does indeed support gapless MP3 playback, so the problem may or may not be the player. Do you get the same behavior using Play?

krahn

Post by krahn » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:59 am

thanks for the help. guess i never had a problem, it was just Cog with mp3's. i must not have the latest version. what's Play? i tried it in iTunes and it plays perfectly!

still wondering why Max outputs silence though, i guess Switch does work but Max might be a bit more pro, not sure.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:22 am

krahn wrote:what's Play?
Play is Stephen Booth's audio file player/manager: http://sbooth.org/

krahn

Post by krahn » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:05 pm

just downloaded Play, good little player, and if it doesn't click between tracks then i'll stick to it. just one feature that i'd like to adjust, can't see how though... when i click a bunch of new tracks, the old ones disappear, i'd prefer for it to just add them to the playlist, like cog and winamp and other do.

so mr. booth, can you tell me why Max would be outputting silent tracks on Leopard? it's a mac intel btw. the created mp3's are even the proper size it seems, just no sound.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:23 pm

krahn wrote:just one feature that i'd like to adjust, can't see how though... when i click a bunch of new tracks, the old ones disappear, i'd prefer for it to just add them to the playlist, like cog and winamp and other do.
See the General options in Preferences and uncheck "Always play tracks when double-clicked" and maybe uncheck "Remove tracks when playback completes". Dragging will always just add to the playlist, regardless the preference settings.
(Note that this site also has a 'Play' forum.)
so mr. booth, can you tell me why Max would be outputting silent tracks on Leopard? it's a mac intel btw. the created mp3's are even the proper size it seems, just no sound.
You do use the latest published 'unstable' build (r1342)?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:20 pm

krahn wrote:i'm inputting wav files made from logic studio, which my player, Cog, plays seemlessly.
What is the sample rate and bit depth of the files?