Which ripper?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.

When wanting "the best rip" how do you rip with Max?

Basic Ripper
14%
Comparison Ripper
No votes
Comparison Ripper - Use SHA-256
No votes
Comparison Ripper - Check for C2 errors
No votes
Comparison Ripper - Use SHA-256 & Check for C2 errors
No votes
cdparanoia - full paranoia - error correction enabled
86%
cdparanoia - overlap checking - error correction enabled
No votes
cdparanoia - full paranoia - error correction disabled
No votes
cdparanoia - overlap checking - error correction disabled
No votes

Total votes: 7

Fuga

Which ripper?

Post by Fuga » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:50 pm

In my trading life I use EAC but for myself and the little ripping I have done Max/paranoia has been fine. I am finally beginning to convert my CD collection and want to do the best. I have re-read the secure ripping thread (though nothing from Stephen since December, 2006) and am still unsure, hence the poll. (I wonder what Stephen uses when he rips.) There are a couple other relevant threads: the rubyripper implementation (no input from Stephen) and the recent one simply asking which ripper.

TheGreekGeek

Re: Which ripper?

Post by TheGreekGeek » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:41 pm

If the CD is not full of scratches, I think its ok to use the basic ripper. No problems so far. I think the paranoia-mode is for paranoia-people. Not necessary at all. If you want to be sure or the CD is really in bad shape, us compare mode.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:52 am

TheGreekGeek wrote:If the CD is not full of scratches, I think its ok to use the basic ripper. No problems so far. I think the paranoia-mode is for paranoia-people.
The paranoia mode is for paranoiacs -- I like that.
Not necessary at all.
I think you're probably right. But what's the difference, really? -- provided one's not hovering over the machine, waiting on the result. One could say, "The Basic Ripper is for the impatient." And that, in some views -- the Buddhist, for example -- might also indicate an unhealthy state of mind.

In most cases it probably doesn't matter which ripper one uses, but why not set the program going, leave it, and do something else?

TheGreekGeek

Post by TheGreekGeek » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:56 pm

Sure, if time is no factor there is no one harmed by the paranoia-mode (except maybe the drive).

rydenfan

Post by rydenfan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:46 pm

I have been trying to discern this exact same info! I even sent Shawn two PM's but he has not responded to me :cry:
All of my cd's are in excellent condition and the basic rip takes 5-7 minutes and the paranoia rip takes 25 minutes. Multiply that different over close to 1,000 cd's and you have a MAJOR time difference. However, I do not want to sacrifice any sound quality by going with the basic ripper. So, is there a difference?????

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:47 pm

Do either of you have anything re: this thread on paranoia?

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:56 pm

rydenfan wrote:I have been trying to discern this exact same info! I even sent Shawn two PM's but he has not responded to me :cry:
All of my cd's are in excellent condition and the basic rip takes 5-7 minutes and the paranoia rip takes 25 minutes. Multiply that different over close to 1,000 cd's and you have a MAJOR time difference. However, I do not want to sacrifice any sound quality by going with the basic ripper. So, is there a difference?????
But what could Shawn say that Stephen hadn't already in the other thread? Namely, that
If you have pristine CDs, the basic ripper is probably good enough.
Which of us is in a better position to comment than Stephen who actually wrote the Basic Ripper?

And I don't suppose anyone else has done any extensive tests of any sort.

I suppose you could read what the people who develop CDParanoia say about their program:

http://xiph.org/paranoia/faq.html