Interesting phenomena, Max and VLC dropout

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
Json

Interesting phenomena, Max and VLC dropout

Post by Json » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:16 am

Hi all!

I have a somewhat strange phenomena using Max and VLC.
This is the story:

- I am using Max on my iMac (Core 2 Duo, 2.33 GHz) with Mac OS 10.5.1. I tried Max builds 1334 and 1337.
- I am using the built-in drive as well as an external USB DVD-writer/reader, a Samsung SE-S204N.

I tried ripping a song to flac using the external drive, but when I play it back with VLC there is a fairly long audio dropout about 10 seconds into the song.
If I use another flac player (I tried Play, Songbird and Cog) there is no dropout.

However, if I rip the same song using the internal drive there is no dropout using VLC either.

And to top it off, if I rip the song using the external drive and iTunes (to AAC 256 VBR) there is no dropout (in iTunes) either.

So the combination external drive and VLC playback gives a dropout. Other tested combinations do not.

Any thoughts?

Json

Re: Interesting phenomena, Max and VLC dropout

Post by Json » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:24 am

Ok, so I get the same behaviour when using a ripper on Windows, and then trying to play it in VLC. Suppose there is some problem with VLC..... doesn't explain all the points but it is enough for me for now.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:49 pm

That's good news because I had no idea on this one :)

Json

Post by Json » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:50 pm

Hi again,

Yeah, sorry I cried "wolf".... or at least somewhat shyly asked "wolf?" :)

I have now also checked some files, ripped to flac using Max and also ripped to flac using EAC and then converted to WAV using Max, and the musical content is the same down to the last bit!

Thanks for a great program! And yes, donation is on the way!