Max and LAME 3.98b6

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
italiano79

Max and LAME 3.98b6

Post by italiano79 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:17 pm

First, I'd like to thank the developer(s) for creating what arguably is THE best piece of audio software available for OS X. Max has completely replaced my need to boot into Windows to use dbpoweramp for certain encoding tasks.

Here's my question, however: the current builds (stable or otherwise) are compiled with LAME 3.97 as the MP3 encoder. Over at hydrogenaudio, myself and others have found numerous problem samples with 3.97 that appear to have been mitigated somewhat in the lastest beta (3.98b6). Obviously, 3.98 is not yet stable and should probably not be used for any and every encoding task, but I find myself wanting to utilize it to test various samples/tracks that had given me problems in 3.97. To do this, I have to load ALAC files onto a FAT32 formatted drive, boot into Vista, and use dbpoweramp or foobar as a frontend for the lame executable. I'd like to be able to use 3.98b6 under OS X, and have in fact compiled a copy from the CVS, but it's a pain to have to transcode everything from ALAC to wav and then encode through the command line. Is there a way to easily compile Max with a 3.98b6 framework for testing purposes?

krmathis

Re: Max and LAME 3.98b6

Post by krmathis » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:08 pm

This should work!
1. Pull the Max source from SVN.
2. Pull the latest LAME trunk (3.98b6 I presume) source from CVS.
3. Go into this directory (Max' source code): "Max/Frameworks/lame/
4. Replace the "lame" directory (containing the LAME source) with the one downloaded from CVS.
5. Build Max as usually.

You will then have the latest Max trunk build with LAME 3.98b6. Or pick another LAME source if the trunk one is not 3.98b6...

italiano79

Re: Max and LAME 3.98b6

Post by italiano79 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:43 am

Thanks for the excellent advice! With the suggestions posted, I was able to successfully build Max with LAME 3.98b6.