Hydrogenaudio recommended LAME settings within Max

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
Harbord

Hydrogenaudio recommended LAME settings within Max

Post by Harbord » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:22 am

Hi,

I am a recent switcher from MS Windows XP to Mac OS X 10.5 . I am very content with my recent conversion.

I have lurched on and learned much about digital audio from the Hydrogen audio forums. Thus in my MS Windows XP past I made extensive use of EAC as a Audio CD Ripper and LAME 3.94 as my encoder of choice. My understanding is that Hydrogen audio members have contributed over the years to the tuning of the LAME encoder to optimize its quality. Hydrogen Audio now recommends LAME 3.97 are their preferred version and have made recommended settings to be used with LAME for highest quality MP3 encoding.

See: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME

I was at a lost at how I was going to replace EAC and LAME within the Mac OS X 10.5 environment. I have a solution now that I have found Max. Thanks.

So to my question. From what I can see (but can't confirm) the LAME encoder options are "simplified" within Max and seem to be using the legacy LAME quality switches which have been superseded. Are there any plans with the Max development to utilize LAME 3.97 "switches" such as:

Best quality: "archiving"
-b 320

High quality: HiFi, home or quiet listening
-V3 --vbr-new (~175 kbps), -V2 --vbr-new (~190 kbps), -V1 --vbr-new (~210 kbps) or -V0 --vbr-new (~230 kbps) are recommended.

Portable: background noise and low bitrate requirement, small sizes
-V6 --vbr-new (~115 kbps), -V5 --vbr-new (~130 kbps) or -V4 --vbr-new (~160 kbps) are recommended for this use. -V6 --vbr-new produces an acceptable quality, while -V4--vbr-new should be close to perceptual transparency.

Many thanks in advance.

Mike1

Re: Hydrogenaudio recommended LAME settings within Max

Post by Mike1 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:53 am

Harbord wrote: Best quality: "archiving"
-b 320

High quality: HiFi, home or quiet listening
-V3 --vbr-new (~175 kbps), -V2 --vbr-new (~190 kbps), -V1 --vbr-new (~210 kbps) or -V0 --vbr-new (~230 kbps) are recommended.
It seems you can use the switch --vbr-new at the command line with the current LAME version, but isn't --vbr-new simply equivalent to --preset fast standard (only there's not so much to type)? That's what the table at Hydrogen Audio would seem to imply:

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php ... nformation

They specifically say there "There is no difference between the output you get if you use -V2 or --alt-preset standard".

And 320 CBR is 320 CBR whatever--as the HA page points out:
For example, the following command lines will all produce the same output:
--alt-preset insane = --preset insane = -b 320 = --preset 320 = --preset cbr 320
So far as I can see, best, transparent, and portable are all there, and there's also "custom" if none of those suit.

Harbord

Re: Hydrogenaudio recommended LAME settings within Max

Post by Harbord » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:35 pm

Thanks for the response... but I will clarify my question

1) The LAME encoder parameters are "configured" within Max and then passed to LAME. From what I can see (but can't confirm) the parameters passed by Max can be shown in the ID Tag comments field. For example I configured Max LAME parameters through its GUI and the corresponding comments field shows "LAME Settings: VBR(q=4) qval=2

2) From the Hydrogen Audio Wiki ...

- "The revolutionary --alt-preset system was introduced in LAME 3.90; it was replaced by the --preset flags in later versions."

- "Starting with version 3.94, the -Vx quality system was introduced, which allows finer control over the desired bitrate;"

- "the --preset switches were made into aliases to the corresponding -V flags for the sake of backwards compatibility."

"More encoding options are available under the new system, such as -V1, which provides a level of quality between the old "standard" and "extreme" presets, or -V3, which is between the old "medium" and "standard" presets"

3) So my question is regarding Max. Are their plans in Max's development to support these new -Vx flags rather than the much older(q & qval) flags which Max appears to utilise? Will Max support a GUI interface to all the -Vx flags?

Many thanks in advance.