Odd gapless behavior

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
ebernet

Odd gapless behavior

Post by ebernet » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:29 am

So I upgraded to the .72b version, dated Nov 22nd, so as I could have Leopard support. I have been using Max for batch conversion from FLAC to AAC for a while. With this new version, everything seemed fine as far as gapless playback (it was fine in iTunes and on my iPod) - but when I gave these same AACs to a friend, he pointed out a 1 second gap on his iPod.
I tried it on mine, and saw the same. While the songs were flagged for gapless playback, iTunes played them with no gaps, and my iPhone played them with no gaps, my 5th gen iPod had the 1 second pause.
I tried bringing all the tracks into Fission and then just doing a lossless Save As (Fission is a lossless lossy editor from Rogue Amoeba that preserves the AAC encoding without recompressing). The files created by fission had no problem.....
SO...
My conclusion, I think, and I am trying to see if others are seeing this - is there a bug in the current builds that somehow messes up the tag/header/whathaveyou so as the gapless playback does not play properly on iPods (but still does on iPhones and iTunes).

Thanks for your help. This is he coolest tool ever (Max)

Eytan

ebernet

Re: Odd gapless behavior

Post by ebernet » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:20 pm

So is no one else seeing this issue? Is there a bug in how the gapless encoding is enabled in the conversion from FLAC to AAC?
Eytan

ffooky

Post by ffooky » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:43 am

Yep, same thing here on a 5.5G iPod. My settings are MPEG4 Audio (top option of the two), AAC, m4a, Maximum quality, 192 VBR.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:33 pm

I'm sure this is another atom ordering issue. Can you use atomic parsley to print out the structure of a file that works and a file that doesn't? Better yet, can you file a bug on http://trac.sbooth.org/Max/ ?

ffooky

Post by ffooky » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:15 pm

Those damned atoms ! I'll sort a bug report with AP print outs tonight.

Edit: Done :)