converting aac to mp3

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
kiwigray

converting aac to mp3

Post by kiwigray » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:09 am

I must be thivk. Mind you I am nearly 71 so you will have to make allowances. I have a aac file which I need to convert to MP3. I have downloaded Max (and a few other candidates) but can't work out how to do it or if it is possible.

Can anyone give me a push in the right direction.

thornomad

Re: converting aac to mp3

Post by thornomad » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:10 pm

I can try.

First, go to Preference in Max (MAX --> PREFERENCES) then move to the FORMATS tab. You'll have a list of "Configured output formats" (which is probably empty) and a list of "Available formats". Select MP3 from the available list and hit the plus-sign-button. I would choose encoder quality "portable" if you are transcoding from AAC since it's not going to be that great of a quality transfer to begin with (would be better if you started fresh from the CD).

Hit OK in the MP3 format window. You'll now have MP3 on your list of "configured outputs". Put a check mark next to it. Exit the preferences window. Got to FILE --> CONVERT FILES ... then drag the folders/files you want into that window and hit CONVERT.

PS: you may want to change the output location from the default back in PREFERENCES ... go to the OUTPUT tab and change the location.

Hope that helps.

kiwigray

Post by kiwigray » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:51 pm

Excellent, I will give that a try. Thanks for taking the time.

kiwigray

Post by kiwigray » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:14 pm

I must have a different version (mine is 0.2) because there is no "formats" tab in the preferences. There are 4 tabs: General, Output, FreeDB and Encoder.

Under General there is "Custom Track Colour and Maximum encoder threads",

Under Output there is " Location, Using custom naming format with a tick box and a whole lot of NivvanaGrunge (whatever they are) an buttons to select "disc number, Discs in set: etc.

Under encoder there are things like bitrate etc.

Nothing there about selecting MP3.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:24 pm

kiwigray wrote:I must have a different version (mine is 0.2)
Where did you find that one? It is a very early version indeed. Download at least the latest stable version 0.7.1 from Max web-page:
http://sbooth.org/Max/

kiwigray

Post by kiwigray » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:07 pm

I could almost say Brilliant. Your instructions were great. I am not sure where I got that older version from. It was only the day before that I got it from somewhere. The latest version doesn't work under Leopard it seems, but not all was lost. My wife has a macbook running Tiger and I did exactly what you said and it all went swimmingly until I went to convert the file I wanted converted. It seems it is a Audible Audio File not a aac, so it didn't want to know it.

Back to the drawing boards.

BTW it is a talking book.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:27 pm

For use under Leopard you could try the latest Max 'unstable' build.

Audible Audio is a proprietary format from audible.com. It should be importable and playable on a Mac in iTunes. If also iTunes cannot convert it, maybe it is possible to burn it from iTunes as audio CD, and rip that CD into MP3.

kiwigray

Post by kiwigray » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:37 pm

Hi there. As it happens I was able to create a playlist in itunes and then selected the one file and chose to burn to CD. What that did was enable me to insert a CD and when it filled it, it spat that one out and asked for another, right through to 6 CDs.

Then I imported them back into itunes again as a playlist and I have 64 MP3 files.

I will download the "unstable" Max to try. I would like to burn them to a DVD but that then won't be usable in anything other that a computer I guess.

Once again thanks for you guidance.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:02 am

I hadn't realized this. I just checked Wikipedia. If you buy Audible content from iTunes then it comes as protected AAC, but if you get it direct from Audible it's not.
This format files encapsulate sound encoded in either MP3 or the ACELP speech codec, but include copy protection by means of an Audible user name and password
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audible.com

Six CDs! what a waste! And all so that you can listen to what you've bought in more than one device. And if you want to listen on an MP3 CD player -- say, in your car -- you'd now have to burn another CD in MP3 CD format. That'd be the seventh.

I did just find out -- strangely enough by googling "audible drm" -- that eMusic has just started doing audiobooks in MP3:

http://www.macnn.com/print/47424

However, it seems to be "subscription based" and to require a "download manager".

One wonders quite why all these people put so many stumbling blocks in people's way. It must hurt sales, and I doubt it prevents those who're minded to from swapping content illegally.

Buying a CD rather than a download and making the compressed copy oneself seems to be the easier option.

kiwigray

Post by kiwigray » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:19 pm

One thing I can't understand is hat there seems to be endless numbers of software for the PC that do the business without fuss, yet it seems to be such a hassle to do it on a Mac. Does anyone know why that is.

The price of six cds was about $2 where as buying a legit copy to run in the car was around $80.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:47 pm

kiwigray wrote:One thing I can't understand is hat there seems to be endless numbers of software for the PC that do the business without fuss, yet it seems to be such a hassle to do it on a Mac. Does anyone know why that is.
Down to the relative popularity of the two platforms, I'd think. There's almost always more software in any given category for Windows, even though there's usually a good option or two available on the Mac and very occasionally something you can't get on Windows.

Still, AFAICT, none of the software around actually strips out the DRM: it just automates the burn-to-CD-and-rip process.
The price of six cds was about $2 where as buying a legit copy to run in the car was around $80.
Well worth doing, then. Just a shame it was necessary.