iTunes vs Max

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
radknee

iTunes vs Max

Post by radknee » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:30 pm

Just within the last week I've been seriously exploring setting up a music server with a Mac Mini for the first time (after reading the spread on music servers in the latest TAS http://www.avguide.com/the-absolute-sound/. The author claims that using a hard disk as a transport is at least as good as the Esoteric P3 disc transport -- costing $13k).

I started ripping with iTunes (using Apple Lossless with error correction), then, upon doing more research, found out about max.

But, on trying to search for posts on the advantages of Max vs iTunes I kept getting errors saying my search was too vague. I've got my Mac Mini setup to auto-load iTunes on startup, and to automatically RIP an inserted disk using Apple Lossless + error correction. It's running headless -- I connect to it over ethernet via ARD.

2 questions: 1) Can Max improve on the quality of extraction of audio tracks over the above setup, and if so 2) can import via Max duplicate the 1-step process used above, or will an extra step be required to import the tracks into iTunes?

Thanks for listening

Mike1

Re: iTunes vs Max

Post by Mike1 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:41 pm

If iTunes has problems with a scratched or damaged CD that you've got, then it's possible that Max may still be able to rip it. There are three rippers inside Max to choose from, including CDParanoia, which has error-correcting abilities.

I like Max for its ability to rip into multiple formats at once and for its ability to encode into formats that iTunes can't encode to, like FLAC. Neither advantage would seem to be relevant to your use scenario. But I guess you might find facets of the program that appeal to you if you try it.

Max has got an option to put its output inside iTunes, although I've never used it myself. You'll find quite a few options to use under Preferences.

radknee

Post by radknee » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:57 pm

Thanks for the reply.

One big limitation of iTunes is it's inability to output hi-res audio (greater than 16/44). Since I plan on ripping some vinyl at hi-res, I may use Max for FLAC encoding of my vinyl transfers (though I'm not sure what to play it with other than an audio recording app -- is there a hi-res app akin to iTunes out there? I know the PC side has Foobar)

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:11 pm

radknee wrote:Thanks for the reply.

One big limitation of iTunes is it's inability to output hi-res audio (greater than 16/44).
Huh! :roll:
So my 24bit/192kHz files encoded with iTunes is not hi-res audio?

radknee

Post by radknee » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:16 pm

>> So my 24bit/192kHz files encoded with iTunes is not hi-res audio?

The file is, but iTunes downsamples it when it's played.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:16 am

radknee wrote:I may use Max for FLAC encoding of my vinyl transfers (though I'm not sure what to play it with ...
Stephen also develops a player, and that does FLAC:

http://sbooth.org/Play/

It will even play back Linn's Studio Master FLACs:

http://www.linnrecords.com/linn-downloads-what.aspx

radknee

Post by radknee » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:57 pm

>> Stephen also develops a player, and that does FLAC:
>> It will even play back Linn's Studio Master FLACs:

Great, thanks.