Apple Lossless

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
TOKIO

Apple Lossless

Post by TOKIO » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:32 pm

I think it is not so intuitive that under "Formats" Apple CAF - Apple Lossless gives .caf files that cannot be played in iTunes, while under MPEG4 Audio the Apple Lossless .m4a files are found. Would it be possible that in the next release of Max Apple Lossless for iTunes are labeled more intuitively and directly? E.g. Apple Lossless (iTunes) as one of the formats to be chosen in "Availlable output formats:" Just my request (and suggestion) :idea:

RonaldPR

Re: Apple Lossless

Post by RonaldPR » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:20 pm

I already suggested to change that multiple times before. "MPEG4-audio" may be the correct name technically, but the names most people know and use are AAC and Apple Lossless.

TOKIO

Post by TOKIO » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:23 am

Thanks RonaldPR and sorry for not searching enough or reading all threads herein before I rushed to post "my" suggestion ;-) At least we now are two (and I suspect many more are with us) to ask for this alteration to "Formats".

As many others, I want to use Max for highest quality ripping (the Mac alternative to Exact Audio Copy on the Windows side of the world). I do of course rip everything in "Full paranoia" with "Never allow skipping" checked.

Presently I am ripping to Apple Lossless .m4a because it is easy to handle on the Mac (I am not anti iTunes). I do however suspect that potentially Core Audio .caf files have a potential for sounding even better. I think we all wait for Apple to better unify QuickTime and iTunes, and I suppose it is iTunes that has got to be "tuned" to get better synchronized to Core Audio. QuickTime also seems to be geared mostly towards the handling of video (with sound), while it does not seem to consider Pure Audio enough.

Even though it ay be trivial and commonplace to advanced users herein, I found that the custom format for output file naming can be effectively used for better integration with iTunes. I set it up as:
{albumArtist}/{albumTitle}{albumYear}/{trackNumber}{trackTitle}

I had an album (Dwayne "Smitty" Smith - This is Me) which was not available in the MusicBrainz data base, so I typed everything in manually. However, after importing the resulting files into the iTunes (version 7.5) library, I checked for album art in iTunes, and I successfully retrieved the album art. I thought the "rule" i iTunes was that only music originally ripped by iTunes can be used for retrieving album art. However, my test proved it is possible to rip with Max and still get album art in iTunes.

I had already previously checked that the Dwayne "Smitty" Smith - This is Me album indeed was available in iTunes.

Sorry for boring you with my trivial comments. I am simply happy that Max finally has become a higher quality ripping alternative for getting my music into Apple Lossless format. I am into High End Audio and will check the results "on my rig". E.g. a "shoot out" can be made with the same music ripped in Max as I have ripped in iTunes. :D

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:36 am

TOKIO wrote:Thanks RonaldPR and sorry for not searching enough or reading all threads herein before I rushed to post "my" suggestion ;-)
You do not need to be sorry, my comment was meant for Stephen Booth.