LEOPARD Compatibility

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
gmt1010

LEOPARD Compatibility

Post by gmt1010 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:12 pm

The current version of Max seems to be incompatible with leopard. I can't set the output formats. Anyone else having problems?

NoName

Re: LEOPARD Compatibility

Post by NoName » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:42 pm

Max is not compatible with Leopard. You can read all about this in other posts in this forum.

I actually decided to abandon Leopard after a week of wasting time with it, so Max is back up and running just fine :D

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:01 pm

NoName wrote:I actually decided to abandon Leopard after a week of wasting time with it, so Max is back up and running just fine :D
Guess I can consider myself lucky.
Cause of all applications I use I only have problems with Max. Every other application, and the OS itself, works without any issues so far.

I am sure Stephen will get Max fully up and running on OS 10.5 as well. Its just a matter of days, or few weeks. :D

NoName

Post by NoName » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Ah, guess you haven't tried repairing permissions or securely deleting much trash yet, ejecting disk images more than a couple of times, or unmounting external drives only to see them disappear normally from the desktop but linger on for an hour in a Finder window, etc. Web browsing and e-mail activities were OK for me with my 5+ Erase and Installs (all immediately following a zeroing of my hard drive), with the exception of Safari 3 and OmniWeb 5.6 for that matter not working anymore with my webmail for work (Groupwise 7). Didn't even bother with Microsoft's Remote Desktop Client Beta, but I can't survive without being able to access my system at work on a daily (OK, nightly) basis. Besides OmniWeb, the only other third-party application I installed and used was Toast. However, since there pretty much is no (slight exaggeration intended) non-Apple software ready to go with Leopard yet, man cannot live by Toast alone.

I think I will stick it out for about another 6 months until Leopard becomes "recognized" in the computing world, and enjoy Max to the fullest in the meantime. Just finished transcoding 6 new CDs from FLAC format from my PC to Apple Lossless with Max a few minutes ago, so it feels great to be back in the saddle.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:10 pm

krmathis wrote:
NoName wrote:I actually decided to abandon Leopard after a week of wasting time with it, so Max is back up and running just fine :D
Guess I can consider myself lucky.
Cause of all applications I use I only have problems with Max. Every other application, and the OS itself, works without any issues so far.
Same here, KR.

Then again, I haven't had any permissions-related problems, and if I had done I'd probably have used chmod to fix them anyway. ;-)

But the issues, where there are any, with most of my third-party software are mostly minor. And Transmit, Camino, and NetNewsWire were updated before I'd even noticed there <em>were</em> any.

What I'm looking forward to is the pending Leopard-only release of TextMate.

srizvi1

Post by srizvi1 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:27 pm

I'm new to Max and just did the install and ran the app before realizing that it's not ready for Leopard use yet. I had ripped two CDs with it before realizing that I couldn't do anything with it. I was wondering where the files were located - or are they in a temp that automatically gets deleted?

hoofed

Post by hoofed » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:13 pm

I'm having the same problem with the output formats on Leopard.

TOKIO

Post by TOKIO » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:47 pm

I am happily enjoying full Max vs. Leopard compatibility by using the "unstable version" of Max as suggested by Stephen Booth in another thread in this forum:

[quote="sbooth"]If you are running Leopard please use the unstable version posted on the Max website- 0.7.1 is not Leopard compatible so I'm not sure if your problems are Leopard-related or Max-related.[/quote]

By the way; I have successfully installed Leopard on three Macs (Intel iMac 24" 2.33GHz, MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, PowerBook G4 867MHz) and most things work flawlessly, including Max as long as you use the "unstable version".

I can assure you (from personal experience) that the "unstable" version is very STABLE indeed!

Cheers! :D
Last edited by TOKIO on Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:31 pm

^ x2
I have been running Max on Mac OS 10.5 since revision 1274 (checked in Mon Oct 29 03:44:20 2007 UTC) and have not encountered any major issues. The latest trunk seems very stable to me...

TOKIO

Post by TOKIO » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:28 am

Regarding "unstable version" Stephen Booth wrote in another thread the following words of wisdom:

[quote="sbooth"]Generally I try to post only builds that are in fairly good working order unless I need feedback or testing on a specific feature. I call them unstable because they do not yet contain all the features I have in mind for the next release./quote]

Heia Norge :)

hoofed

Post by hoofed » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:50 pm

Thanks. The "unstable" build runs great. =]

scott brown

Post by scott brown » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:24 pm

NoName wrote:Ah, guess you haven't tried repairing permissions or securely deleting much trash yet, ejecting disk images more than a couple of times, or unmounting external drives only to see them disappear normally from the desktop but linger on for an hour in a Finder window, etc. Web browsing and e-mail activities were OK for me with my 5+ Erase and Installs (all immediately following a zeroing of my hard drive), with the exception of Safari 3 and OmniWeb 5.6 for that matter not working anymore with my webmail for work (Groupwise 7). Didn't even bother with Microsoft's Remote Desktop Client Beta, but I can't survive without being able to access my system at work on a daily (OK, nightly) basis. Besides OmniWeb, the only other third-party application I installed and used was Toast. However, since there pretty much is no (slight exaggeration intended) non-Apple software ready to go with Leopard yet, man cannot live by Toast alone.

I think I will stick it out for about another 6 months until Leopard becomes "recognized" in the computing world, and enjoy Max to the fullest in the meantime. Just finished transcoding 6 new CDs from FLAC format from my PC to Apple Lossless with Max a few minutes ago, so it feels great to be back in the saddle.

i haven't had 1 problem with 10.5, and i'm using tons of 3rd party apps, including ones that have been discontinued since before tiger (like Spark XL)

NoName

Post by NoName » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:23 pm

Hello Scott,

I will get around to installing Leopard again once I know that the specific issues I encountered have been resolved. Most of them are pretty well documented on Apple Discussions (including my own posts) and elsewhere on the net.

Or, I would always be willing to move back/forward to Leopard if any courageous software developer would bring the following options to Leopard (or even Tiger, for that matter):

- Inclusion of FLAC 1.2.1 decoder/encoder
- Apple Lossless encoding using Core Audio, with metadata retained (as with Max), moved to the front of the file (as with dBpoweramp, as well as foobar2000 when using the Nero AAC codec) and a hint track added for AirTunes streaming (as with dBpoweramp)
- Inclusion of source - output audio comparison during conversion (as with dBpoweramp)

Yes, I went wildly off topic :twisted:

However, I (for one) would be willing to pay a reasonable fee for these important improvements. Until and unless there is ever true secure ripping in OS X, I think it makes sense to focus on file conversion and library/tag management :idea:

bablumenstein

Post by bablumenstein » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:16 pm

I am using the "unstable" version of Max under Leopard. It appeared that MusicBrainz fetching was not working, though the CD I was processing may be too obscure. I think MusicBrainz fetching worked previously on a CD that was less obscure, though it is possible that the CD data came from the CD itself. In any case I went to preferences and started fiddling with the MusicBrainz settings (I probably should not have done this).

So, the problem I am having is that I do not know how to reset the MusicBrainz preference to the default (I did not write down the default settings). I tried re-installing but it just picks up the stuff I put there previously. So, if anyone can tell me what to put into the MusicBrainz preference for the default settings I would appreciate it greatly. I also have the following questions:

1. Does MusciBrainz fetching work using the "unstable" version of Max under Leopard? (Does anyone have definitive evidence that it works?)

2. Do I need to put my MusicBrainz username and password in the preferences?

(BTW: I am an expert Windows Vista (and before) user, and my iMax is my 1st Mac. Besides other things I am using it as a music server with SqueezeBoxes (work perfectly, much better than any version of Windows!). I have not used any previous version of OS X. I really like the iMax and Leopard, though I do find some missing components I wish I had, such as a driver for my HP Scanjet 8250. What I really like about the iMac, however, is that it is astonishingly quiet, to the point I sometimes wonder if anything is happening! This is perfect for an always on music server.)

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:45 pm

Simply delete what you entered and Mac will restore the default settings:
Preferred server: mm.musicbrainz.org
Port: 80
(You can leave Username and Password fields empty if you only want to retrieve the tag data.)

See also this topic: http://sbooth.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1828