MAX on Leopard - newbie to mac

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
b33k34

MAX on Leopard - newbie to mac

Post by b33k34 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:27 am

I'm a complete newbie to mac's having been a Windows user for years but bought a iMac with Leopard last week. My music library has quite a few bad rips in it and i've decided to take the plunge and re-rip all 600+ CDs. Needless to say i want to get it right this time (i think i tried ripping too much, too quickly last time whilst using the pc's for other tasks at the same time).

Max looks like the answer. Ideally i'd like to keep an archive copy of lossless files on my NAS for use with my slimserver/squeezebox setup and a smaller mp3 copy for use on my ipod and in the satnav in the car.

So - questions.
Will max do this dual ripping at the same time?
When is a leopard compatible version likely (i don't seem to get any format options with the current version)

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: MAX on Leopard - newbie to mac

Post by sbooth » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:27 pm

b33k34 wrote:Will max do this dual ripping at the same time?
When is a leopard compatible version likely (i don't seem to get any format options with the current version)
Yes, Max will do the dual encoding at the same time.
I'd like to have a working Leopard version out within a month. The current unstable version, while usable on Leopard, isn't quite ready for prime time since some features are still missing and/or in development.

NoName

Post by NoName » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:34 pm

With 600 CDs to rip, I would certainly stick to using your Windows-based PC to make sure that you are getting accurate rips using software such as EAC or dBpoweramp Reference and making sure to use AccurateRip with either of these. Max unfortunately doesn't support secure ripping or drive offsets, isn't compatible with AccurateRip, isn't fully Leopard compatible (yet), and hasn't had an update to the stable version in nearly a year.

That said, I am still checking these boards in hopes that a Leopard version will be released soon for taking care of conversion of FLAC files to other formats while preserving metadata, which Max has been extremely useful for under Tiger.

Using a Windows machine for ripping CDs and transferring the files to a Mac is terribly inconvenient, but worth the trouble absent an OS X CD ripper on par with these Windows masterpieces. For the most part, I'm a Mac user, but I do all of my CD ripping on my PC with PlexTools Professional LE and most of my format-to-format conversions and other file management with foobar2000. With Leopard now installed on my Mac, I've got myself not much more than a fancy iPod battery charger :? .

narkotic

Post by narkotic » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:19 pm

Maybe I'm confused, but I see people dancing around the fact that MAX isn't compatible with Leopard, w/out facts.

What I want to know, is there a way to get Max in it's current state to convert FLACS to Apple Lossless under Leopard? When it tries to start, the app crashes. I currently have 0.7.2b installed.

This is a huge bummer, most places I purchase music from is in FLAC format and I need to convert it to apple lossless for many reasons. Are there any suggestions of programs to use in the interim? I can't wait a month to listen to music I just purchased.

Thanks alot..

ps I think MAX is an awesome easy to use program! Can I donate?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:31 pm

narkotic wrote:What I want to know, is there a way to get Max in it's current state to convert FLACS to Apple Lossless under Leopard? When it tries to start, the app crashes. I currently have 0.7.2b installed.
Not until I work around a bug in Leopard. I'll be releasing new unstable versions in less than a month, but a new release version will take at least a month as I am in the middle of adding cue sheet support.

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:36 pm

narkotic wrote:What I want to know, is there a way to get Max in it's current state to convert FLACS to Apple Lossless under Leopard?
No. Max are in its current state unable to encode to MPEG-4 audio.
But the sources are freely available. So if you have the knowledge everything is possible...
This is a huge bummer, most places I purchase music from is in FLAC format and I need to convert it to apple lossless for many reasons. Are there any suggestions of programs to use in the interim? I can't wait a month to listen to music I just purchased.
You can always decode the FLAC files using FLAC (command line binary), then convert the WAV files to Apple Lossless through iTunes.

NoName

Post by NoName » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:49 pm

narkotic wrote:This is a huge bummer, most places I purchase music from is in FLAC format and I need to convert it to apple lossless for many reasons. Are there any suggestions of programs to use in the interim? I can't wait a month to listen to music I just purchased.
You could keep your eye out for a new Leopard-compatible release of X Lossless Decoder, since it will likely give you the chance, like with Max, to preserve metadata upon conversion to Apple Lossless.

rtrt

Post by rtrt » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:57 pm

Re

'I would certainly stick to using your Windows-based PC to make sure that you are getting accurate rips using software such as EAC or dBpoweramp Reference and making sure to use AccurateRip with either of these.'
and
'worth the trouble absent an OS X CD ripper on par with these Windows masterpieces.'

Can someone comment on why Max with cdparanoia is in some way inferior to the above software.

I have access to a Windows PC as well as my main MAC.

So will use the best platform to rip my music - only planning to do it once after all!

jeff0628

Post by jeff0628 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:53 am

I'm now able to convert Apple Lossless to MP3 using Leopard and Max 0.7.1 as well as FLAC to MP3 under Leopard. All I did was I downloaded the latest development release http://sbooth.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1801 and I selected the output formats that I wanted. I then closed the app and fired up 0.7.1 and all seems to encode just fine . I just finished encoding 2,000+ Apple Lossless to MP3, and several hundred FLAC to MP3.... I hope this will help someone who's having trouble with Leopard.

I'm curious as how this is able to work, by simply running the development release first to select the output format?