current status of gapless AAC in MAX

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
pna

current status of gapless AAC in MAX

Post by pna » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:12 pm

Hi all,

I've begun to re-rip my CD collection for what I hope will be the last time. Max is providing the perfect answer for me, by allowing me to rip both to an archival apple lossless copy, as well as to a 320 kpbs AAC file for use with iTunes on my laptop. It's the answer I've been looking for.

Before I really get rolling ripping all of my CD's, though, I've noticed one issue related to AAC's I've created in Max, which is that iTunes will not play them gaplessly. My workflow is to rip in max with cdparanoia, and encode straight to ALAC and AAC, then drag the files into iTunes. They play fine in iTunes, but have a gap between the tracks, even if I set them to be 'gapless albums' manually. If I rerip the files using iTunes, they play gaplessly without a problem.

I searched the forums here, and found a few (long) troubleshooting threads from about a year ago talking about this issue, and a post saying that gapless support had been implemented in a build that I assume has made it into the stable download (version 0.7.1) by now. Could someone please comment on if the creation of gapless MPEG-4 AAC's should be supported now, or if there's something that I need to do to enable it?

Thank you so much!

NoName

Re: current status of gapless AAC in MAX

Post by NoName » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:19 pm

Before I decided to make an ALAC copy of my FLAC library using Max, I read the forums here and had enough doubt in my mind about using Max to encoded AAC files for iTunes that I simply used Max to make the ALAC files, then added them to iTunes and let iTunes take care of the encoding to AAC. Using iTunes to encode files is virtually a guarantee that they will be fully compatible with iTunes (assuming you use unadulterated lossless source files) :mrgreen: .

pna

Post by pna » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:49 pm

NoName wrote:Before I decided to make an ALAC copy of my FLAC library using Max, I read the forums here and had enough doubt in my mind about using Max to encoded AAC files for iTunes that I simply used Max to make the ALAC files, then added them to iTunes and let iTunes take care of the encoding to AAC. Using iTunes to encode files is virtually a guarantee that they will be fully compatible with iTunes (assuming you use unadulterated lossless source files) :mrgreen: .
Yes -- after posting here yesterday I realized that maybe that was the wisest thing to do. I just added the ALAC files from Max into my iTunes library (without having it copy them over), then used an 'Apple Lossless' smart playlist that I created to highlight the newly added files and encode them, then delete them from the library again. This way I can separately keep the ALAC files on a different drive for archival, and just reencode them whenever necessary. This adds an additional step to the workflow (especially given that I'm also using some plextor drives on a linux box to rip CD's to flac files, which are then turned into apple lossless by Max), but I think this time I'm just going to do it slowly over a long period of time. The only tweak I'll add to this is probably just to have Max automatically add the ALAC files to a playlist in iTunes, for easier encoding later.

Dcislander

Post by Dcislander » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:20 pm

This is interesting because I am in the same situation and did not think about gapless. My question though is this: If I took the Apple Lossless files and played them on a Sonos system, would the lossless files play gapless? I do not have the system yet so I cannot test it.

pna

Post by pna » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:05 am

Dcislander wrote:This is interesting because I am in the same situation and did not think about gapless. My question though is this: If I took the Apple Lossless files and played them on a Sonos system, would the lossless files play gapless? I do not have the system yet so I cannot test it.
I can't speak for the Sonos, but if it's any help, the apple lossless files generated from Max play gaplessly from within iTunes, whereas the aac files generated from Max do not. I'd extrapolate from that to say that playing the lossless files through the Sonos should be gapless.

Dcislander

Post by Dcislander » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:17 pm

I will post my results once the Sonos is up and running. I am hoping that your theory is right. Thanks for the info.