First time start up

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
bluesdoc

First time start up

Post by bluesdoc » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:31 am

Boy do I feel stupid. I just downloaded Max and for some reason can;t seem to get the program started. I assume I am doing something foolishly wrong, but don;t know what it is! thanks in advance for any help. BluesDoc

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: First time start up

Post by sbooth » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:21 am

What version of Max and Mac OS X are you using?

bluesdoc

Post by bluesdoc » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:32 pm

sbooth wrote:What version of Max and Mac OS X are you using?
thanks for your rapid reply. I am using Mac 10.4.10 and the latest download of Max, it appears to be 0.7.1

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:26 pm

Are there any error messages logged in Console when you try and run Max?

Also, I recommend using the unstable build as it incorporates many bugfixes not yet released.

bluesdoc

Post by bluesdoc » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:41 pm

sbooth wrote:Are there any error messages logged in Console when you try and run Max?

Also, I recommend using the unstable build as it incorporates many bugfixes not yet released.
I'll try downloading the unstable build. But I may not have been clear enough bout my problem.....I can't get it to run at all....can;t get the Console to open....absolutely nothing.I've got the icons sitting on my desktop and not a thing happening. thanks again. BluesDoc

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:38 pm

bluesdoc wrote:I'll try downloading the unstable build. But I may not have been clear enough bout my problem.....I can't get it to run at all....can;t get the Console to open....absolutely nothing.I've got the icons sitting on my desktop and not a thing happening. thanks again. BluesDoc
I am talking about Console.app - it's in /Applications/Utilities/Console

bluesdoc

Post by bluesdoc » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:24 am

sbooth wrote:
bluesdoc wrote:I'll try downloading the unstable build. But I may not have been clear enough bout my problem.....I can't get it to run at all....can;t get the Console to open....absolutely nothing.I've got the icons sitting on my desktop and not a thing happening. thanks again. BluesDoc
I am talking about Console.app - it's in /Applications/Utilities/Console
Good news...and bad news...I download the unstable build, and presto! it ran the program. So I dragged a folder of apple losseless file to the converter window, had it converted to AAC format. And that worked fine. Boy was I happy! BUT, I cant seem to add the converted music to my iTunes Library. And when I click directly on the converted music file, it opens Quicktime player to play the file. (Clicking on the original Lossless file opens ITunes). thanks again, BluesDoc

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:55 am

Make sure that you've selected MPEG-4 Audio with the m4a extension, and AAC as the data format for iTunes compatibility.

bluesdoc

Post by bluesdoc » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:09 am

sbooth wrote:Make sure that you've selected MPEG-4 Audio with the m4a extension, and AAC as the data format for iTunes compatibility.
Thanks Steve. After some trial and error I gathered its the top of the two identical seeming choices labeled MPEG 4 Audio. Steve, this seems like a great piece of software, and I am sure I will enjoy using it more and more as I figure it out. But it is a bit confusing at first, and while I am a novice on a Mac, I am pretty familiar with Windows, and with digital audio. Of course your presence and immediate responses were more than redeeming.....made it worth every penny <G>

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:25 pm

@ Stephen

I may sound like an old scratched record, but again this in example of how confusing the labels for some output formats are in Max. This is not a problem of someone new to the Mac, no ordinary user will associate MPEG4 Audio with AAC and Apple Lossless. Please change them in a next version of Max to names that are normally used and understood by the average user.