From WAV to m4a Apple Lossless

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
Snowrider

From WAV to m4a Apple Lossless

Post by Snowrider » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:21 am

I wish to convert all my .wav files to .m4a to be used on my Apple TV and iPod. I have tagged all my .wav files using Media Monkey and all the files work well with my Sonos system. When I attempted to convert using MAX I found that the tag info on my .wav files is not being picked up by MAX. Is there some setting within MAX that I am missing?

If MAX can't do the job for me is there another application that will work for me? I have >500 CDs ripped in wav and I am looking to do this as painlessly as possible.

Thanks for looking and any help is appreciated.
Last edited by Snowrider on Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krmathis

Re: From WAV to m4a Apple Lossless

Post by krmathis » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:34 pm

WAV (the file container) don't support tags. At least not following its specification.
So no wonder Max don't pick up any tags...

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: From WAV to m4a Apple Lossless

Post by sbooth » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:20 am

I have seen WAVs with metadata, specifically it was ID3v2 tags embedded in an 'id3 ' chunk by MusicMatch jukebox. I wrote some additional classes for TagLib to support parsing and metadata extraction for these WAVs, but I trashed the code afterward because I didn't think I'd need it again. But, as krmathis stated, this is somewhat nonstandard and isn't handled by Max.

If you want to send me one of the WAVs I will take a look at it and see how the metadata is stored.