Advice on managing library?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
Meatwad

Advice on managing library?

Post by Meatwad » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:18 am

For a while now I've just kept all my music in iTunes. I keep my library on an external RAID volume - /Volumes/RAIDBox/Music. And underneath that path are all of the Artists directories as iTunes likes to do. But now I'm starting to rip stuff in to FLAC and I'm trying to figure out where to put it. The way I see it, I have a couple of options

1. Keep FLAC in it's own hierarchy, like iTunes, but off to the side. The "Music" dir would contain everything in the iTunes library and the "FLAC" dir would contain FLAC specifically.

2. Dump the FLAC files in the Music dir. Then, for a given album (assuming I ripped with the same data) the directory would have both the flac and the mp3 files.

3. Stop using iTunes to manage my library and come up with something else.

I though it would be a really cool feature if Max would allow me to configure an output path for each encoder separately but I don't know if anyone else would like that feature.

The main problem I'm trying to deal with is that my FLAC library is somewhat as an archive against future transcoding but I'd also like to point Slimserver at it while keeping iTunes to manage what it can since that goes on my iPod. Any suggestions?

healthilyskeptical

Re: Advice on managing library?

Post by healthilyskeptical » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:35 pm

I'm doing almost the same thing, except I'm starting from scratch. I'm encoding to AAC and FLAC in parallel, dropping both files into a separate Music folder from my iTunes library. I'll use the FLAC with a SlimDevices or Sonos player at some stage. I then use Max's "Add to iTunes" capability which duplicates the AAC/M4A files into my iTunes Library. Finally I routinely delete the *.M4A files from my Music folder at the end of each encoding session.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:59 pm

I would find having separate output directories incredibly useful.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:12 pm

You can specify different output folders based on the file type. Enable custom output file naming, and select File Format from the output specifier menu.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:00 pm

sbooth wrote:You can specify different output folders based on the file type. Enable custom output file naming, and select File Format from the output specifier menu.
Not sure what to do. When I choose File Format it overides the choices I have in the Custom Output File Name field. So, I kept File Format and then put back what else I wanted. The result is files at least sorted by format before other stuff (e.g. artist, album, etc.). but no where do I see a way to have these not be in the same directory.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:05 am

Fuga wrote:Not sure what to do. When I choose File Format it overides the choices I have in the Custom Output File Name field. So, I kept File Format and then put back what else I wanted. The result is files at least sorted by format before other stuff (e.g. artist, album, etc.). but no where do I see a way to have these not be in the same directory.
You can use the / character as a directory separator in the file naming formats. Also, if you place the insertion point somewhere in the text before selecting a format specifier it will insert the text instead of replacing it. Here is an example format string to make mirror image directory structures for each format:

Code: Select all

{fileFormat}/{albumArtist}/{albumTitle}/{trackNumber} {trackTitle}

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:59 pm

sbooth wrote:
Fuga wrote:Not sure what to do. When I choose File Format it overides the choices I have in the Custom Output File Name field. So, I kept File Format and then put back what else I wanted. The result is files at least sorted by format before other stuff (e.g. artist, album, etc.). but no where do I see a way to have these not be in the same directory.
You can use the / character as a directory separator in the file naming formats. Also, if you place the insertion point somewhere in the text before selecting a format specifier it will insert the text instead of replacing it. Here is an example format string to make mirror image directory structures for each format:

Code: Select all

{fileFormat}/{albumArtist}/{albumTitle}/{trackNumber} {trackTitle}
I copied/pasted the string you put up. The result was just the same - just one long file name beginning with the format. The slashes made no difference.

I did close the Preferences window before running the encode. Surely I don't have to quit Max to make it "take?"

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:04 pm

Fuga wrote:I copied/pasted the string you put up. The result was just the same - just one long file name beginning with the format. The slashes made no difference.

I did close the Preferences window before running the encode. Surely I don't have to quit Max to make it "take?"
You don't have to quit Max, but you do need to press enter or tab to commit the editing. I entered the same string as a test and got correct output:

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:40 pm

Well that just works perfectly. :D :D

Thanks.