FLAC converted files won't play on AirTunes

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
msproule

FLAC converted files won't play on AirTunes

Post by msproule » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:55 pm

I purchased one of Crowded House's (don't judge my music) live concert recordings in FLAC. After I downloaded them, I found out that iTunes did not support FLAC. I downloaded Max 0.7.1 and used it to convert the files into MPEG-4 (AAC) files so that I could maintain some of the audio quality that the FLAC files have. The import into iTunes was flawless with all of the tags being maintained and the structure in tact. The files played flawlessly on iTunes. I switched the audio output over to my Living Room (AirTunes) and it continued to play the files on my system. The only thing that I can think about is that perhaps the size of the files and the bit rate might be too cumbersome, but all of the information that I've read leads me to believe that that is not the issue. Any ideas? Thanks.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: FLAC converted files won't play on AirTunes

Post by sbooth » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:06 am

Does this thread shed any light? I would guess that it is an atom issue- if you create m4a files with the latest unstable do you still have the same problem?

msproule

Post by msproule » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:05 am

Thanks for the link. If I followed it correctly and performed the steps that were listed, using AtomicParsely to move the atoms around, but no joy. iTunes still does not play those tracks through AirTunes.

NoName

Post by NoName » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:05 pm

Just to be clear, Max has several separate AAC encoders listed in the application's available output formats. You should be using the first of two MPEG4 Audio entries, with the extension M4A. Can you confirm that this is what you've used to transcode your files?

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:52 pm

Another option would be to play the FLACs in Play and use Airfoil to play through Airport.