Tagging Files on Output Without Disturbing Underlying Flac

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
Gretch

Tagging Files on Output Without Disturbing Underlying Flac

Post by Gretch » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:53 am

I wonder if there is a way to tag the output of a flac to apple-lossless conversion without disrupting the underlying flacs -- without tagging the underlying flacs. It seems to me that this would maintain the hash's and maintain the integrity of files you want to be able to distribute i.e. torrents.

Is this possible?

Might it be?

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Tagging Files on Output Without Disturbing Underlying Flac

Post by sbooth » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:36 pm

Max shouldn't touch the source files for conversion. Are you seeing different behavior?

Gretch

Post by Gretch » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:43 pm

Thanks for the response,

It's not that Max changes the underlying files. But, when you add meta-tags to the flac's in Tag, it changes the hashes. When I batch convert flac's from a live concert to apple lossless -- without tagging the flac's first -- the output m4a's are stripped of the names of the original files and are no longer in the original order. This makes it difficult to apply the correct metadata to the output m4a's.

I guess the best solution for me would be to figure out how and if to keep the title of the original flac as the title of the output m4a. Then it would be easy to cross-check and tag the output m4a's and the underlying flac hashes would not be changed. Tagging the resulting files could be done reliably in ITunes or using some post-processing tagger other than Tag that was compatible with m4a's.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:34 pm

Gretch wrote:I guess the best solution for me would be to figure out how and if to keep the title of the original flac as the title of the output m4a. Then it would be easy to cross-check and tag the output m4a's and the underlying flac hashes would not be changed. Tagging the resulting files could be done reliably in ITunes or using some post-processing tagger other than Tag that was compatible with m4a's.
Max can do this already- in the Output preference pane, select "Use a custom naming format" and then select "Source filename" from the "Format Specifier" drop-down menu.

Gretch

Post by Gretch » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:24 pm

Great! Thanks.