Need Help Getting Started

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
jhart71

Need Help Getting Started

Post by jhart71 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:52 pm

Hello-

I just downloaded Max today and already I am excited by what I've read about it.

I am going to re-rip my entire CD library as Apple Lossless using Max - but I have a few questions.

Which "ripper" method is best out of the 3, and which settings should be turned on/off? I plan on using the same settings for everything, as opposed to turning error correction off.

Also, when I'm done I plan on transcoding the Lossless files into a more manageable iPod-ready AAC file. Should I use iTunes for that, or should I use Max?

Any help is appreciated. I'm ripping about 400 albums, so I want to do a little research and get it right the first time!

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Need Help Getting Started

Post by sbooth » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:29 am

jhart71 wrote:Which "ripper" method is best out of the 3, and which settings should be turned on/off? I plan on using the same settings for everything, as opposed to turning error correction off.
If you have pristine CDs, the basic ripper is probably good enough. I personally think the comparison ripper is good, although the vast majority of users use cdparanoia.
Also, when I'm done I plan on transcoding the Lossless files into a more manageable iPod-ready AAC file. Should I use iTunes for that, or should I use Max?
I would say use Max- the AAC files it generates are iTunes/iPod friendly.

jhart71

Post by jhart71 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:17 pm

Only about 1/3 of my CDs would be "pristine", but they're all in pretty good shape. I only have about 2 dozen that are really bad (but they still play fine).

Would you recommend CDParanoia then? That, coupled with Error Correction, would be the most-accurate ripping method?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:57 pm

jhart71 wrote:Would you recommend CDParanoia then? That, coupled with Error Correction, would be the most-accurate ripping method?
Both cdparanoia and the comparison ripper perform some type of error detection/correction. Which one you choose is up to you- cdparanoia might be a bit faster in some cases, but the results from both should be fine. It's mostly a matter of personal preference.

jhart71

Post by jhart71 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:16 pm

I guess I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between Comparison and CDParanoia. Does Comparison go online to compare against other rips?

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:00 pm

No, it re-reads a couple of times and compares the readings.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:16 am

And if your drive caches audio the second read will merely give up the cache info.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:15 am

Fuga wrote:And if your drive caches audio the second read will merely give up the cache info.
This is an oversimplification and not entirely correct. While it is true drives that cache audio may return the same data without hitting the physical media, the comparison ripper tries hard to avoid this by performing dummy reads from sector areas outside of the area of interest in between reads.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:14 am

Very good to know. I missed that in discussions.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:06 pm

Fuga wrote:Very good to know. I missed that in discussions.
It's a suboptimal cache-defeating algorithm since I cannot get the use_fua bit to work on OS X.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:03 pm

sbooth wrote:
Fuga wrote:Very good to know. I missed that in discussions.
It's a suboptimal cache-defeating algorithm since I cannot get the use_fua bit to work on OS X.
Well, that''s easy for you to say. :wink:

Actually, I sorta understand it. And, I repeat, it's very good to know. Thank you - for this bit of info and all of your work.